Had a minor setback!

Ridge Runner

while doing the breakin on my 7 Allen mag I was working on getting it on paper. Well I can't make zero at 100 yds. My Xotic USS which has according to the makers, 105 MOA of elevation ran out of "down" with a 20 MOA ken farrel base, Guess its the high IOR rings. I'm 5.5" high at 100 and the elevation turret is on the stop.
JS

No problem. Take your targets out to 500 yards and resume testing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif You're not really going to shoot the 7mmAM at only 100 yards are you?

James:

Sounds kinda strange. That's gonna put you zeroed somewhere around 500 yards plus, depending on bullet and load. With your setup you should be able to get down to where you want to be with only a 20 moa base. I'm using a 20 moa base on mine and I could get down to a 100 yard zero easily if I wanted to.

One thing you don't want to do is to have to run the elevation all the way to the bottom.

Are you sure that when you bedded the base that you didn't inadvertantly get some unwanted additional base tilt via the bedding process? Might be worth checking just to be sure.

I have a 40 moa base on my rifle with a IOR it only has 50moa internal and i can get to the 100 target with ease.
Like ss7mm says, there maybe somthing wrong with the base or rings. Are the rings totally down all the way in the base. Just maybe the scope is fubar?
I put lots of nightforce with 100 moa on rifles and with 40moa bases they have no trouble sighting in at 100. Recheck everything.

Good luck

I'll check it out, it does seem strange, I mounted the scope with erector tube centered, and bore sighted, and had to go down close to 20 MOA so I thought it would be fine, I'll double check the bases and rings.
JS

ok, thanks all, I found a small problem, if that fixes it, I'll tell ya how stupid I am!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
JS

I will tell ya one thing to watch out for. I have been told by more than a few people to steer clear of completly bottoming out your scopes internal adustmant. As you tighten down the springs in your adjustment you tend to lose "true clicking" as you get to the limits of adjustment.

On a new gun project me and Bill Bailey are working on right now we looked for a scope with enough adjustment that would give us enough room to have around 10 MOA at either end of adjustment. That way you know your clicks will be true.

If you adjust a turret all the way to the end of its adjustment you will feel the clicks at the end getting kinda soft. I am speaking from leup experince, cant afford any of the IOR's, but they look **** nice

good luck
steve

ok, removed scope, checked all the mounts, everything was fine, thought one ring may not be down all the way but it makes no difference, its still a lil over 4" high at 100.
I took a sheet of osb and stood it up at 50 yds clamped the rifle in a rest with ret on the 48" mark and could easily turn the up adjustment to wath the crosshairs move off the bottom of the sheet.
Not sure whats going on but I'm thinking a 0 MOA base will cure the problem.
Oh and while I was at it I shot 3 for a group at 100. fireform loads off a bipod went into .567 so kirby done good.
While I'm thinking about it how much difference should there be in base thickness from front to rear in a 20 MOA 2 pc base ON A REM 700 la? thanks for your replys!
JS

took the 20 moa bases off and replaced them with weaver GS bases, made zero with the elevation adjustment 19 moa off the down stop, don't know what caused it but the problem is fixed. Now I can fireform the rest of a batch of 50 cases and start load developement.
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.