H4831sc for .270win with Hornady 130gr SST

ropeNshoot

I'm working up loads form my .270win using the Hornady 130gr SST. Have any of y'all used H4831? What was your start/max loads? I can't find any data for this combo in RCBS handbook or Hodgon's online load data. Any advice would be helpful.

The 9th Edition of Hornady's handbook of cartridge reloading shows the following for that bullet in a Win model 70 with 1 in 10 twist, 24" barrel and a COAL of 3.210".

Horandy does not list a load using H4831SC but it has the same burn rate as H4831 so the loads should be similar.

H4831

52.3 gr/2600 fps
54.2 gr/2700 fps
56.2 gr/2800 fps
58.1 gr/2900 fps
60.1 gr/3000 fps
62.0 gr/3100 fps

It'll like it hot, they all do. Fill it to the base of the neck and seat your bullet. BTW this is one of the premium powder cartridge sweet spots of all time.

I'm curious about the COAL shown above. I'm shooting a rem 700 and by measuring the total overall length for these bullets I have come up with 3.407" to the lands. I have seated the bullets at 3.386" COAL to put them .021" off the lands. I measured the total length by placing a bullet in the throat and marking a line on cleaning rod at the muzzle and by marking another line with the rod resting on the bolt face when closed. I have sooted the bullet in a dummy round and I can see no marks from the rifling. I have read that the rem 700 tends to have a long throat. Am I too far off with these calculations to be safe?

I wouldn't concern myself with what COL is listed elsewhere, it's just as likely not to work as it would be to work in your rifle, stick with what you're doing now.

In my 270 with 130gr pills I have had really good accuracy with 60gr of H4831sc and the same amount of RE22. RE22 was the faster powder in my rifle and accuracy was almost identical. My rifles' barrel is only 22" so my velocity isn't all that great, will have to rectify that one day!
Another bullet worth trying is the Nosler 140gr Accubond, one ragged hole groups out of my rifle, I was very impressed with it's accuracy and it kills really well to boot!

Cheers.
gun)

I load 59.5 g 4831sc with 130 grain at 30 thou from the lands. 60 grains and I get pressure signs.

The 60.0 grain H-4831 with most 130 grain bullets has been pretty well standard for .270 loads since this powder became available back before many of us were born. I found it a great load with the Hornady Spire Point; Speer Spitzer and best with the Sierra 130 grain Pro Hunter. You will find however, that your rifle may not handle this load without pressure signs. It will vary rifle to rifle and bullet to bullet. Just start low and work up to it, or in some instances beyond, if zero pressure indicators are present.
As to the 140 accubonds, I love that bullet also. Lately I have been getting +3000 fps and outstanding accuracy with the AB, the SST and the Berger 140 VLD. This is out of my Ruger tang safety, 22" barrel and IMR 4831. Not 60.0 with this powder, but 58.0 grains of the IMR. Cleary max in my rifle. My son's A-Bolt Stainless Stalker loves the 140 AB with 57.0 of the IMR 4831 and CCI BR-2 primers. Again, this is max for his .270. My apologies for running off at the mouth, I just feel like blabbing this morning.

I have loaded for around a dozen 270s and they all shot lights out with 60 grs H4831 or the SC version with 130 gr bullets. I used Sierra, Nosler ballistic tips, and Hornady SP. I remember reading in one of the older manuals that said that H4831 and the 270 Win went together like apple pie and ice cream. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.