270 Win loaded with 130gr Hornady SST

I'm sure someone has 10,000 accubonds in their basement and could spare a few. Hell maybe give up a pound of powder out of the 55 gallon drum of h4831 in the garage….🤣🤣
LOL I'm sure they do I will have to be patient and I have 2 Lbs of H4831 so i have enough to load a few LOL

Jack O'Connor loaded 59 grains for the 130. He needed it for his extended range hunting. I tried it once, and I say once, and it was too hot of a load. Way back when he was loading that way, powder burn rate wasn't as it is today.

This is From Speers' #1 load manual 1954

Only in larger cases can enough be put in the case, even with heavy bullets, to result in dangerous breech pressure
However.... Rifles are different and some can handle the higher pressures. At the time my Savage couldn't. Rifles gone, but I dropped quite a few deer fast !

Last edited:
Jack O'Connor loaded 59 grains for the 130. He needed it for his extended range hunting. I tried it once, and I say once, and it was too hot of a load. Way back when he was loading that way, powder burn rate wasn't as it is today.

This is From Speers' #1 load manual 1954
Thanks for the intel

HI Moose, For My 270 Win Deer Load. I use 59.5 Grns of H 4831 SC in Light Winchester matched cases, Ex; 186.0 to 186.3 Grns empty case weight. Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic Tips and Win LR Primers. This has been my Deer Hunting Load in my Weatherby Ultralight Rifle for many years . I keep the coal to 3.340 to 3.343 as the tips are some time not perfect, The COAL can vary 3/1000 . I Keep the Ogive length to 2.801 to 2.803, using the Hornady tool, with that Nosler 130 grn. bullet. That tool is not perfect either , I'm sorry to say. The rings are aluminum so it is not completely precise. This all works fine so I can have one or two rounds in the mag, and one in the chamber. No problem feeding or ejection. As Most of my deer have been killed with one shot, I then need to eject the one or two rounds in the magazine, into my hat. Bye the way, I had read many many years ago, that O'Conner's Load was 61 Grns of H 4831. Damm if I can figure out how he ever fit that much powder, in a 270 case.

HI Moose, For My 270 Win Deer Load. I use 59.5 Grns of H 4831 SC in Light Winchester matched cases, Ex; 186.0 to 186.3 Grns empty case weight. Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic Tips and Win LR Primers. This has been my Deer Hunting Load in my Weatherby Ultralight Rifle for many years . I keep the coal to 3.340 to 3.343 as the tips are some time not perfect, The COAL can vary 3/1000 . I Keep the Ogive length to 2.801 to 2.803, using the Hornady tool, with that Nosler 130 grn. bullet. That tool is not perfect either , I'm sorry to say. The rings are aluminum so it is not completely precise. This all works fine so I can have one or two rounds in the mag, and one in the chamber. No problem feeding or ejection. As Most of my deer have been killed with one shot, I then need to eject the one or two rounds in the magazine, into my hat. Bye the way, I had read many many years ago, that O'Conner's Load was 61 Grns of H 4831. Damm if I can figure out how he ever fit that much powder, in a 270 case.
I appreciate the intel and i will try the COL you recommended. I completely agree with your statement about how Mr. O'Conner fit that much powder in a 270 case... (interesting) I shall figure something out and keep yah updated...

60 I was flattening primers and 61 blowing primers and probably have to beat the bolt open

Great. Buddy. Please let me know
So i attempted using 60/59/58 grains of H4831 and it exceeded the COL for my magazine (3.32 MAX) so I will be trying 130 SST/57 Grains/H4831/COL 3.30 which according to the Manual is @ 2999 and all i hope for is a better group @ 100 Yards... unfortunately it will be a little bit before i can go shoot. I will let you know the outcome...

My most accurate270 Win. load is 59.2 Grns H4831,with 130 Grn ballistic tips ! When I Got the ultralight rifle I went to an indoor 100 yard range in middle town NY , and. Shot several groups of just one ragged hole !! I Was so pleased! For some reason I increased the load to59.5 Grns for hunting ! I Did kill two deer with the 59.2 load ,with no problems or issues! The. Ultralight barrel heats up easy so I am careful to let shots 3 ,4,and 5 cool 1 min and 40 seconds between each shot at the range!

I've found the nosler bt bullets not super sensitive to seating depth. I set to mag length and shoot it. I don't have the time or patience to perform seating depth tests find every .10"of accuracy. I rarely use the 270 past 350 yards in Pennsylvania. So I sight in 2" high at 100 and hold right on from 25 yards to 300 yards. Zero brain required point and squeeze the trigger
I'm much the same. I have yet to find a VLD I want to shoot at game and they are pretty sensitive to seating depth where traditional bullets rarely seem to be.

The only real exception I've found to the above is in a rifle with enough rounds down the tube to erode the throat. In that case chasing the lands a bit can breathe new accuracy back into an old barrel.

As a rule though I'm like you, I load to mag length and just tweak the charge with seating depth be the last thing I'd worry about.

My most accurate270 Win. load is 59.2 Grns H4831,with 130 Grn ballistic tips ! When I Got the ultralight rifle I went to an indoor 100 yard range in middle town NY , and. Shot several groups of just one ragged hole !! I Was so pleased! For some reason I increased the load to59.5 Grns for hunting ! I Did kill two deer with the 59.2 load ,with no problems or issues! The. Ultralight barrel heats up easy so I am careful to let shots 3 ,4,and 5 cool 1 min and 40 seconds between each shot at the range!
I think I actually rushed a little and when i realized it i went form 1.19 (1-2 min) group to .75(3-4 minutes). i was giving it about between shots and it was about 50 degrees outside figured that was good enough so next weekend I'm heading out and giving it 5 minutes. The SST 130 are .25 longer then the NP130 so didn't have much choice with the load 57 grains/H 4831 just hope it groups well. According to the Nosler Bible should be 2999 FPS.

727, seldom do any two rifles like the same exact load. This load was for my Wby Vanguard .270 Win with 24" barrel, Nosler brass, Federal 210M primers. Started at 56gr and worked up .3gr at a throw, found 57.0 was the most accurate. Can't guarantee 57.0 is your number, but should be close if all factors the same. Addition: After seeing your other post I might add with a Nosler partition or accubond this load would need to worked up from scratch.

Last edited:

Recent Posts