270 Win loaded with 130gr Hornady SST

Stammster

Moose727 mentioned he was unable to go over 58-60gr of H4831 into his case -because it wouldn't fit if he was loading to 3.32" COAL due to mag length issue. I assumed (and calculated) he was compressed. I guess he was just figuring seating longer would allow for more powder room/capacity. Not exactly the way I would think through the problem - and thus one of my reply's above giving my experience with this load.
I have actually went from 3.23 to 3.30 COL and going out this weekend to try my new hand loads 57/H4831/130SST and 59/H4831/130NP both @ 3.30 so i will see and let y'all know the outcome. thanks

maybe Jack O'Connors' M70 could handle it. His write up in Speers 10th edition made it clear, his load was ok.

maybe Jack O'Connors' M70 could handle it. His write up in Speers 10th edition made it clear, his load was ok.
i have measured the length of the 130sst and 130NP and the SST is quite a bit longer so i am just being careful...I just measured both bullets and the SST130 is 1.24 and the 130NP is 1.12

Last edited:
I load 55.0 Grns of IMR 4350 in my friends Model 70 Featherweight classic, in 270 Win. I think he has a 22 inch barrel and his rifle just seemed to like that load better that my other 270 Win load of 59.5 grans of H 4831 SC . for my Weatherby Ultralight . Both our loads develop about 3020 /3040 fps. I use matched light Winchester cases in his rifle also . I keep his COAL at, or just under .the Nosler Book . 3.335 to 3.340 Max. Using the 130 Grn. Nosler Ballistic Tips, he has also had a few one shot kills , with that load. Accuracy is completely acceptable for Whitetail deer hunting on his farm. 100 yard shots very average. Unlike me , who shoots at least 100 rounds prior to each deer season, he just shoots a few rounds prior to deer season, and is happy. He loves it and wants me to keep making that load for him. As he is my best friend , and a Ortho. surgeon and a full colonel in the army, I just say "yes sir"! I apologize to all my friends here who really do not like that Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, and I understand their logic and reason. I just respectfully disagree as it relates to Whitetail Deer. We both make sure we don't shoot the deer in the shoulder, and we have both had very good results.

I load 55.0 Grns of IMR 4350 in my friends Model 70 Featherweight classic, in 270 Win. I think he has a 22 inch barrel and his rifle just seemed to like that load better that my other 270 Win load of 59.5 grans of H 4831 SC . for my Weatherby Ultralight . Both our loads develop about 3020 /3040 fps. I use matched light Winchester cases in his rifle also . I keep his COAL at, or just under .the Nosler Book . 3.335 to 3.340 Max. Using the 130 Grn. Nosler Ballistic Tips, he has also had a few one shot kills , with that load. Accuracy is completely acceptable for Whitetail deer hunting on his farm. 100 yard shots very average. Unlike me , who shoots at least 100 rounds prior to each deer season, he just shoots a few rounds prior to deer season, and is happy. He loves it and wants me to keep making that load for him. As he is my best friend , and a Ortho. surgeon and a full colonel in the army, I just say "yes sir"! I apologize to all my friends here who really do not like that Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, and I understand their logic and reason. I just respectfully disagree as it relates to Whitetail Deer. We both make sure we don't shoot the deer in the shoulder, and have both had very good results.
That's kinda funny because I have a load with 55/IMR4350/130NP/3.20 COL and just worked up a load 59/H4831/130SST and 130NP both @3.30 COL going out next weekend to give it a try 🤞🤞🤞

Well that's great Moose. Just for fun, you might want to also try the 4350 load you have at 3.320 and make three rounds each with a COAL of 3.25 and 3.30 and 3.35 and 3.340 . Keep everything else the same and see if you notice a group size difference. Good luck buddy.

Well that's great Moose. Just for fun, you might want to also try the 4350 load you have at 3.320 and make three rounds each with a COAL of 3.25 and 3.30 and 3.35 and 3.340 . Keep everything else the same and see if you notice a group size difference. Good luck buddy.
Did you not see his post where he is mag limited at 3.32"?
Did you not see my post suggesting he may be jammed with the SST at COAL around 3.31" or less. There is a reason bullet vendors list a COAL in their reloading manuals. It's clear moose727 has no idea distance to his lands with any of his bullets and is clearly seating bullet depth based on the amount of powder he can fit in the case.

His entire method of reloading is odd at best and dangerous at worst.

Apologies, I did not see the post where he said his magazine was 3.32. Obviously that means he can't enjoy testing slightly longer cartridge lengths , Unless he wishes to shoot them single shot.

Apologies, I did not see the post where he said his magazine was 3.32. Obviously that means he can't enjoy testing slightly longer cartridge lengths , Unless he wishes to shoot them single shot.
For it's all good intel and like with any shooter/hunter I will figure out a load that works with the H4831 it will take some time. Everyone that has responded I DEFINITELY APPRECIATE the intel... Shoot straight ( I will let y'all know the outcome)