243 win with hornady 95gn sst

I loaded the 95 gr SST
H414- 41.3 grs
CCI-LR
Win Brass
.020 off the lands
2980 MV
22" barrel
*Note- Rem Accutip and the Hornady SST are the same bullet made by Hornady.

I loaded the 95 gr SST
H414- 41.3 grs
CCI-LR
Win Brass
.020 off the lands
2980 MV
22" barrel
*Note- Rem Accutip and the Hornady SST are the same bullet made by Hornady.

Was that MV confirmed with additional shooting sessions across the chrony? 2980 seems a bit high for that combination. My son shoots that combination in his savage 10 and it only yields about 2650 fps.

I've not tried the Hornady, but I do use the Nosler 95 bt's. My Rem has a 24 in. barrel and I get 3050 with 43.0 gr of Re22. I would think 2900 or more is what you should expect . I have seen some posts that claim 3200fps, but I cannot get that safely in mine. I've had alot of one shot kills with Nosler,I'm not fixing what ain't broke.

Federal Power Shock - standard blue box - 100grn SP leave my 22" barrel at 40fps slower - 2940 - than what it says on the box - 2980. They are very accurate in my gun, between .25 & 1 MOA. Don't know who makes the bullet.

I have loaded 100gr Hornady BTSP Interlocks, and my most accurate load with Varget (32gr) is only about 2690 fps. But I have put 3 rounds in the same ragged hole at 200 yards, with the 4th .25" away with that load. I'm working on a new load with 4831 in an effort to keep this level of accuracy but boost the vel back up to to 2900 for hunting.

I can definitely feel the difference in recoil between my accurate 2690 load and Federal's 2940 load, though both are mild. The former is like shooting a 223.

I have found the standard Hdy Interlocks BTSP or just flat base SP to be very accurate in 2 different calibers; 243 & 270. The 270 130s shoot cloverleaves - 1" @100 out of a Browning automatic rifle. Pretty impressive for an autoloader, but it is finicky- I have not achieved the same accuracy with Nosler, Barnes or Sierra in different bullet types. Those are all expensive compared to the Interlocks so I have stayed with them. They and SSTs drill pretty badass holes and do expand well.

42.0 grains of RL17 with a CCI 200 netted 3075 for me with a 95 grain SST in a 22" Abolt.

Hornady are claiming 3185fps on their superformance load with the 95gr SST. I don't know if their test barrel is 24" long ?

I don't have a chrono and have been shooting 95gr Berger VLD's with a 41gr load of H100V Hodgdon powder to form it to my AI chamber in the new 26" Shilen 1:8 barrel. I had the rifle zeroed at 100yds and yesterday shot at 285 yards with a 6" drop. Ran the numbers today in the G7 calculator (50F ambient 1000ASL 80%RH) and it back calculated my velocity at 3400fps. That is just smoking... They are not even AI loads yet..

I have shot just under 3 boxes of the 95gr SST's and killed a pair of coyotes with them before I swapped my barrel for the shilen. The coyotes were at about 140 and 90 yards and they were a mess. At 140 yards it passed through both shoulders and liquified the heart and frontal part of the lungs. The one at 90 yards had his but to me, looking back for his buddy and the bullet severed his tail just under the skin and did not emerge from the front. About half the spine was just shrapnel.

We are not allowed to shoot deer with rifles here, so I can't comment on larger animals.

I have been loading these for a friend for pigs and white tail. I think they are pushing in the 2850 - 2900 range our first go around, and like west cliff said they are brutal. Its not uncommon for him to wreck both shoulders on a full grown boar. I started this thread becuase i heard guys were pushing em 3200+ and i didnt believe it. I guess out of a 26" tube with hot loads its entirely possible.

If you go to 6mmbr.com they have a 243 Win page. (it is the correct link). There you will find people shooting the 115gr DTAC bullets at 3300fps, but because they do does not mean we all should. I loaded up my bullets with a 41gr load of H100V powder from Hodgdon knowing that they would not achieve peak pressure because I am fireforming the brass about 10%. Still I am amazed at the velocity I am getting from these loads. And in my case the velocity is neither measured nor assumed, but back calculated from the bullet drop from 100 to 285 yards using the correct G7 ballistics coefficient for the Berger Bullets I am using.

The SST's definitely do expand on contact. Some of the "curl" ends up fragmenting at closer range/higher velocities but they put game down fast. I went to the Berger for a better BC since I am not hunting a particularly tough critter.

In the fireformed cases I will be running 105gr target bullets for an even better BC since again I am not too concerned with what it takes to kill a coyote. My main concern is the least wind drift possible since the vitals are a pretty small area.

I try not to focus too much on speed but ill take it if i can get it. Id like to find him a load thats very consistant and can be shot through the same brass a dozen times. If it does 3000 fps, that would be nice.

You might want to try that H100V powder. In my berger book, it is not the fastest load in a regular chamber, it comes in just under 3000fps. All assuming a 2.71" COAL. If you can seat the bullet longer (lengthened throat) then you will find that the "real" max load is higher.

The fastest loads (max) are with Norma MRP (3050fps), followed by Ramshot Magnum (3033fps) and trailing AA Magpro (3030), RE 22 and IMR 7828SSC with 3027fps, H4831-SC with 3016fps etc etc. The problem currently is that I need to have a long list of what I might take when I go to the gun shop since they may be totally out, or something random may have been delivered and stocked a few minutes before. Sure plays havoc with planning....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.