H4350 Temp. Data

MHO

Does anyone have any experience with temperatures affecting this powder. I know Hodgdon says it does not. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience. Thanks

I think the only way to prove or disprove it, would be to put some powder into a heated container. Then, at the range you could fire ammo with powder at ambient temps(let's say ~40deg), and load(locally) hot powder ammo(let's say at 100deg) and shoot side by side across the same chrono setup/condition.
With this, you would have the same conditions except different powder temps, to compare.

I don't know if anyone has ever done this..

They LIE!

I use it to compete with at 1K and granted my loads are on the upper limit but the ammunition used at 55 during the first relay must be reduced by .5 at 85 in the afternoon. The ambient also has the action and chamber warmer to start with but without going into finite detail it does change the pressure.

I have had some minor issues as well here in Colorado. When it was high 80's - low 90's, the ES was going crazy with 52-63 FPS. In the 70's it was better at ES of 29's but still high. This is with 4 different rifles; they are over the counter rifles.

No matter how exacting on everything, I cannot get a very minimal ES with H4831sc, H4350, and even H1000. I switched to IMR 4350 and the ES went back to mid teens and group closed back to 1/2" @ 100.

There must be something good about the powder but I have decided to not be a kool-aid partaker.

Thanks for your input. Does anyone have any experience with difference with cold. Since it will mostly be used this fall in Kansas and Nebraska. 338 have you had any difference in the 20 to 30 degree range?

The first 3 days of Colorado 3rd season las year was in low 70s. The next 5 days was 20s in the mornings and 50s thereafter. Unfortuantely I was actually using RL19 in my 338 last fall and honestly never got a shot off so I can not attest to RL19 performance in that cold temperature nor the H's performance.

For what it is worth, I am reloading hunting party's custom 300 Win Mag with H1000 but 2 for a 30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag I am going with IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 respectively. For my 338 Win Mag I am not sure but chances are not with the H powders.

Let us know your approach. :)

I have had totally different experiences with H4350. I have shot it in 243AI's 6.5x47L and had really tight ES's, like in the 6-7 range. I have chronographed loads I have worked up in the 6.5x47 when it was 20ish degrees outside and have only noticed about 10fps difference at 85 degrees. Most people I talk to say that 4350 is probably the most consistant powder in the Hodgdon line. From what I have seen so far, I would have to agree.

Yup pretty crazy stuff.
I am load testing again tomorrow with the IMRs. Will let ya'll know the results and comparisons.

338 and CPG,
Thank you a ton. I won a Southeast Kansas WT hunt the second week of December (COLD) at the SCI show. So Im trying to find a powder I can shoot here that will not be affected very much when I go. My 300 loves the H5350 with 180 Accubonds that we have worked up. So your input is greatly appreciated.

ive let some cases sit in the freezer over night and put them in a cooler on the way to the range. it was last summer so i think it was about 80 outside and my cooled cases must have been around 30 degrees and they were around 10 FPS slower.

Doing the same. Going to put some in the freezer overnight and go out Saturday morning and run them through the chrono.

Back from the range: Yesterdays temp was 82
I switched to IMR for both 4831 and 4350

Unfortunately, I loaded my IMR 4831 for the 7mm Rem Mag too hot and got sticky bolt with the first two shots and bolt lock for the next two so the IMR 4831 testing stopped there for a comparison.

For the IMR 4350 (compared to H4350) for ES. The IMR ES was not as significant at 31 but the consistent accuracy won hands down. At 100 yards, hole in hole a number of times and consistent 1/2" - 5/8" groups.

...but in all honesty, this might not be truly fair. I just might not have been using the best load\primer\seating depth for the H powder. I just don't have the time or money to continue range testing over and over. Sometimes you find the combo quickly, sometimes you don't.

I am really starting to see and prove what most everyone else has found or finding out. These rifles of ours have such unique personalities that powders\primers\bullets\load recipes might work perfectly for one rifle, yet fail so poorly with another. H powder might work as advertised with one but not another. Also keep in mind elevation, barometric pressure and temp combo play a part too. Get that rifle of yours shooting straight and you will be confident and happy.

The real truth will be in the pudding this fall when we take those trophy Elk and Muleys. :):):)

Last edited:
338winmag,
Thanks a ton for your info and I totally agree about each rifle having its own personality. My 300 loves the H4350 with 180 accubonds. Cloverleafs or makes the hole a little larger every time out. Just wondering still how the Kansas December temps are going to mess with it. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.