Guys like what they like... Triplets

Very nice rifles and those muzzlebrakes are awesome.
But they do make me tired.
I detest muzzle brakes. They hurt my head; they hurt my very bones. I don't say a word when a braked Savage Striker in a WSSM shows up at our General Purpose (GP, 100 yard) covered firing lines, I simply go up to the clubhouse and read, palaver, or find some shady spot to take a nap. Our noisy friend has every right to be there and shoot, and I know he won't be there long. NObody can stand such acoustical trauma for long. After an hour or so, I drive back down to the GP 100 yard range where I can shoot for the rest of the day ... or until another skull'n'bone-breaker shows up.
Leaving the bench for more pleasant environs is no big deal for me. I have the rest of my life to live and can shoot any time I want. But this old hoss isn't going to stick around while, even unknowingly, somebody hurts me. Toward the extreme end of noise sensitivity there's even a seriously described medical condition of hypersensitivity to sound. I've met a sufferer from it. Really sad ... he can't EVER really enjoy shooting, except, perhaps the quiet Olympic Air Gun.
There's no such thing as a "quiet brake" unless you're talking about suppressors.
IMHO, suppressors should be considered a matter of modern shooting etiquette.

Last edited:
But they do make me tired.
I detest muzzle brakes. They hurt my head; they hurt my very bones. I don't say a word when a braked Savage Striker in a WSSM shows up at our GP covered firing lines, I simply go up to the clubhouse and read, palaver, or find some shady place to take a nap. He has every right to be there and shoot, and I know he won't be there long. After an hour or so, I drive back down to the General Purpose (100 yard) range where I can shoot for the rest of the day ... or until another skull'n'bone-breaker shows up.
Leaving for more pleasant environs is no big deal for me. I have the rest of my life and can shoot any time I want. But this old hoss isn't going to stick around while, even unknowingly, somebody hurts me. Toward the extreme end of noise sensitivity there's even a seriously described medical condition like that. I've met a sufferer from it. Really sad ... he can't EVER really enjoy shooting, except, perhaps the quiet Olympic Air Gun.
There's no such thing as a "quiet brake" unless you're talking about suppressors.

Oh I agree...but I would never be as rude to shoot beside someone like that with my braked rifle. That's why I go out to the middle of no where (we have a lot of that in the desert) and shoot my rifles. That way I'm not bothering anyone and no one is bothering me.

If I were at a public range, I would just ask the people next to me if I could shoot a few rounds while they take a break.

Some people like to feel their pace maker thumping, make you feel alive.
I am sound sensitive, and a few minutes around a braked magnum will make me not even CARE about being alive! However, I understand the pleasure all other shooters are having, and long ago settled any issue by becoming willing to move away from their shooting points, perhaps even coming back another day. It's OK, Man, it really is! I'm grateful for the comaraderie and courtesy of others who are having such great fun as this, and I (usually) wouldn't disturb it for the world. Please extend the same generous patience with an old man if he gets low on blood sugar, gets cantankerous, rude, crude, or socially unacceptable from time to time. We're all on this old globe together. When it comes time for anyone to surrender his guns, be kind, patient, and gentle. And take him shooting. He has enjoyed the sport for a lifetime. And you might learn something.

Last edited:
He must be recoil sensitive.
It's called "Acoustical Trauma." And there is a medical condition that gives some people a heightened sensitivity to noise. We are all somewhere along the range of auditory perception and sensitivity. We differ even in psychological and physiological response to noise. And it can change as we age. Though my hearing has diminished, my adverse response to loud, repetitious or sudden noise has become elevated. Machine guns are great fun (briefly) but as my response changes (with age?) they sure make me tired in a hurry! Paradoxically, I still greatly enjoy shooting, albeit with less intense calibers. Shooting is a lifetime sport, embodying many disciplines. I've enjoyed it for many decades, and like John Wane said of Life, "I'm a greedy old man. I've had a good life and I want some more of it."

On a barrel with the length of these triplets, does the brake really make a difference? excuse my ignorance but I have never used one.
Yes, huge difference. The brakes only job is to reduce recoil and muzzle rise. It will do both no matter what length the barrel is. Average barrel lengths (24"-26") it will make no difference in how that brake functions from 24 to 26

I wasn't bashing breaks, just curious about brakes on a 25-06 and 270. They are pretty.

I wasn't bashing breaks, just curious about brakes on a 25-06 and 270. They are pretty.
I know it's not a not a 270 but even on this little 6.5 Creedmoor you can see what difference it makes. To each his own. That's why these are custom rifles. The customer gets to have whatever he pleases on the end of his rifle. At the end of the video he fires with no brake. A little info on center hole clearance too.

I like em, all 3. Not exactly what I'd build, but nice !!! Having everything thing the same only enhances ones ability once mastered.
Far from recoil sensitive, but I brake a 6 dasher, I like to see my bullet impact where it is intended. If you are on a range and have to ask another where the bullet impacted, you are already out of the game. I do get shooting heavy recoiling guns at 100 though, to group or zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.