Typically what bullet does a .308 like

You can still get 2600-2650 with a 200 SGK from a 24" barrel.

If used as a single shot you could still get 2600-2650 from the 208 as well using RL17. They can be magazine fed with a wyatt mag and N550 but the velocity will be between 2560-2600 from the 24" The numbers are still impressive at 2550-2600 with the 208. Especially at higher altitudes.

M

THAT is from A 28 inch barrel. maybe an 18 pound gun. michael eichelle has more experience than any one i know . HE could give you a good answer. the 5-r has a 24 inch barrel and is 8.5 pounds. ishot a match last
week against 308s with 28 inch barrles with custom actions and barrels and stock. very very good scopes too. i say 600 is a very long distance to shot a whitetail . it costs about 7K to hunt whitetails in saskechewan. i doubt the responders suggesting 1000 yards would try that far up there

Actually it's a 14lbs rifle but what does that matter? the question was how far CAN you shoot a whitetail with a 200+grain bullet going 2700...the answer to that question is 1000 yards if you can place the bullet.

Whether or not someone would take that shot is a totally different subject.

The real question should be..... Where on this earth can you find a whitetail a 1000 yds. away that your going to be able to retrieve, unless you know a land owner with thousands of acres of land, and providing there is no cover for any game on that land. I guess I misunderstood the question though, my son shoots a 308 Rem., it is over the counter rifle, it DOES NOT have 26"-28" barrel, it DOES NOT weigh 14lbs., typically he uses it for white tail deer, and his shots are rarely, if ever over 150 yds. Can a 308 shoot and kill a whitetail at 1000 yds. ? Most definently, the military used more 308 sniper rifles than can be imagined, they killed humans at 1000 yds. so I guess I don't mean to sound contradictory, but really we shoot lots of deer, and we have decent luck with our reloads.

Ok guys I am pretty new to this long range hunting and was wondering...... what sort of range would you shoot a whitetail at with a .308 cal 200grain 2700fps round ???

trebark - her is robbo's question. typically, according to jeff h. "150 yards" . can it kill at 1000 ? yes. my answer to robbo is - while it may kill one at 1000 yards; Typically the Successful hunters shoot much much shorter distances. many are killed by bows, muskets, and shotguns. jeff h. - in az we have coues whitetail ; they inhabit very rugged mountainous areas and there is a lot of public land; the typical shot for them is quite far and they are dinky. maybe 60-75 pounds. also a a lot of country up in montana and idahoe and wyo they have a lot of "open public land " , where you could take a longer shot also. alberta/sask too ?? your avg wisconsin deer probably make three or four of the ones here. roninflag

Roninflag- Very well put! I have been to your state many times, never saw the coues deer, some day I would love to get there on an elk hunt, I guess when I answered the original question, I answered with what we have had success with on deer hunting here in Wis. and out in Mont., don't forget punching paper to test our reloads, it just seemed to take a wild turn when we were talking about 26-28 inch barrels and 14-18 lb. rifles, I also forgot where I was! Long range shooting and hunting.

trebark - her is robbo's question. typically, according to jeff h. "150 yards" . can it kill at 1000 ? yes. my answer to robbo is - while it may kill one at 1000 yards; Typically the Successful hunters shoot much much shorter distances. many are killed by bows, muskets, and shotguns. jeff h. - in az we have coues whitetail ; they inhabit very rugged mountainous areas and there is a lot of public land; the typical shot for them is quite far and they are dinky. maybe 60-75 pounds. also a a lot of country up in montana and idahoe and wyo they have a lot of "open public land " , where you could take a longer shot also. alberta/sask too ?? your avg wisconsin deer probably make three or four of the ones here. roninflag

Took the words right out of my mouth.

M

Jeff and Michael- i saw 5 bull elks yesterday ; one was a 6x6 the other a 7x7. distance tten to twenty yards. wish i had my camera instead of my cell phone. nothing dinky about those. jeff- - michael can tell you finding the coues is hard, but with good optics you can see quite a few.

You might could try what I did. I called the manufacturer of my rifle and asked them what round performed the best, during their test fires. They gave me the ammunition brand and weight of what performed the best. The rifle I called about has a 1 in 10 twist. It may not be the most practical approach but it gave me a good starting point. With the 1 in 10 inch twist, this rifle likes 168 grain.

Ron- I value decent optics, Iapplied for elk in Montana this year, sure hope I can see some bulls like your talking about, last fall in Mt. we saw about 15 bulls where we applied for this year, last fall I had only a cow tag and could only see them on land that was not open to the public, and the bulls... they were at 815 yds.(couldn't shoot them anyway, no tag) but I will have to do some practicing if I plan to shoot that far, I will be using a 338/378 weatherby accumark, zeiss conquest on it. Any way, thanks for the come back.........coues deer.. huh, have to think about that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.