Guthook knife recommendation

trueblue

I am looking for a guthook knife recommendation. I have used a Kabar knife for about 30+ years to clean my deer. I like the fact that I can sharpen it with a file. But am thinking about replacing it with a knife that has a guthook, or just adding a separate guthook to the mix. Any recommendations?

I use a cold steel master hunter, they offer these with and without gut hook. The tricky part is finding an older one that is made in USA with the carbon V blade. I don't think the imported ones are as good. When that knife is razor sharp I can usually skin 3-4 deer with it or a couple elk no problem before it needs sharpened again. My best friend uses a Benchmade Steep Country, S30v blade. He has very good blade performance between sharpenings as well.

I was given a game skinner for christmas about 15 years ago. It's larger than the whitetail skinner which is what I'd buy fwiw. I swear that is the bees knees for quickness and safety. I wear a 105 Buck always while hunting as it was the knife my grandfather gave me. The skinner is on my pack strap so I have it. The grip allows you to use your knife hand without putting it down. You will wonder why you didn't buy one sooner

download.jpg benchmade grizzly creek. three years now by far my favorite knife.

Do a web search for CUTCO. It is a place in New York that makes cutlery and pots and pans but they have awesome hunting knives. The double D serrated blades really stay sharp. I mean sharper than a razor. I usually send my knife back to them after completely skinning and cutting up 25 to 30 deer. This is when the knife is just starting to not be razor sharp. These knives are guaranteed for life and you can send up to three knives to them at a time for sharpening when needed with $5 for return postage and they sharpen them free. These knives run about $100 but they are worth every cent. They are stainless and come with a great leather scabbard. Also one has a gut hook on it's top side.

Great knife - large gut hook. I have tried many others with a smaller hook that does not work as well. Reasonable price! Very sharp.

https://www.outdooredge.com/products/swingblade-sb-10n

I have Hella, Benchmade, Hazen, Case, CRKT, etc. but this knife is the one that gets used to gut game and some skinning. I'm not thrilled about the Chinese aspect of it but there is no denying this knife works well, holds an edge as long as I need it to and makes gutting without popping anything that shouldn't be popped super easy and fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.