Gut shot with a solid

Thanks for the responses guys. I was not trying to make it a terminal ballistics thing. I know it was the wrong bullet for that application and am not trying to make it about that. I just wondered if the planets aligned and the bullet did pencil through, that my assumption that there was going to be little to no blood, was correct. As stated by others, it seems as though there can be little to no blood with the gut shot. This is the second dog I've ever shot at. The first was gracefully missed about 15 years ago and a bad shot on this one.
Any fawn killer hit with a bullet, especially after the harsh winter we just had, is a great shot in my opinion. Good work!

I shot a coyote at about 10 yards, if that, walking towards me with a 308 175gr matchking.

No blood, could not for the life of me find an exit wound, thing dropped like a ton of lead fell on it.

Dragged back across the snow-covered field, no blood.

Buddies grandfather took it to skin it and sell it to his fur buyer, said it looked like someone stuck a 12 gauge inside the thing and shot, there were holes everywhere on the off-side of the pelt.

Bullet entered and just exploded.

No blood, in snow, blood trails are a luxury with these things, in my experience. Then I've not really been the type that hunts them when they've got their thinner coats... that may change the "rule"

Though I do hate losing an animal, any, it hurts, coyotes are the devil to find.

Does anyone use a .17 HMR to shoot yotes? If so, what brand of ammo do you use? VNT, Gamepoint ETC.
What is the best and worst times to call them in? Getting ready for my first hunt! All tips are appreciated!

My coyote kills are usually while deer hunting. So its what I've got in my hands. Killed four last season. Three with a 7-08, one with 6.5 Grendel. Grendel was most spectacular, 218 yards. He hit the ground hard and was up and running for about thirty yards. Thought I'd made bad hit, but it was right behind the shoulder and exit hole was snuff can size. 85 grain Hammer Hunter @ 3000 FPS. They are tough critters.

Does anyone use a .17 HMR to shoot yotes? If so, what brand of ammo do you use? VNT, Gamepoint ETC.
What is the best and worst times to call them in? Getting ready for my first hunt! All tips are appreciated!
If I see a coyote and all I have is a 17 HMR, I would shoot him with it. If I was going Coyote hunting, would not even be number 5 in the top 5 choices. Minimum 223, better yet 22-250 or a 6.5 something as I want to be able to reach out at least 400 yards and it is usually windy here. Used a 300 WM with 147 grain FMJ Boattail for many years to get the range out to 800 yards and the wind bucking I want. If I was hunting where a quieter round is better, we can't use suppressors in Canada, hard to beat the 22 Hornet with 40 grain Vmax at 3150 fps. Quiet and very effective out to 350 yards.

Last edited:
I shot one sitting at 573 yards with a 69 Berger match out of my 223. Its wind milled around.I went out and looked for it shortly.But was not right there,wasnt prime time for a pelt.Shot many hunting big game while packing my 340, that about cuts them in half

There is a guy on here called ohiolongarm that uses a 17HMR if I remember correctly, he was running Hornady ammo. A lot of times here they will crawl under a bush to hide when they are fatally shot but not going to die instantly. You can go to a site here called coyote calling tips and tecniques from last year that has a bunch of good information on it.