Just shot first coyote in Oregon with .22LR

TacticalHits

So I've been trying to bag a Coyote for about 6years now. They are very smart where I live and won't come to calls for anything! We live outside of town about 4 miles right next to a Nursery. I hear them all the time around us but they never get to close because I have 4 Siberian Huskies which make enough noise of their own:D Around November of 2011 I heard a loner back across the Nursery field in the dark around 9pm, so I told my brother to bring out his .22mag onto the 2nd story porch which overlooks the field and see if we could call him in. I didn't have my game call on me but I did have my Iphone which had a app that had coyote's howling. So I turned my phone up full blast which wasn't very loud and gave it a try. I what do know, in about 10min I decide to turn on my mag light and check the field. And this coyote is sitting about 40yds away just looking at us! Just sitting there. So my brother pulls up his scoped .22 mag and shoots, and off runs the coyote! Well I figured out his stupid scope was off because he let one of his friends mess with it! Stupid! So a couple days ago at around 10pm I hear this loner coyote making noise out in the field pretty darn close! Of course I'm out in the barn, so I walk over to the house up the stairs go into the house where I had my .22LR Rifle which is scoped but dead on, grab my wireless predator call and head out on the same porch as before. I turned off the outside light, turned on my cottontail in distress call at low volume and waited. I didn't hear anything so I shined my mag light over the field, and see nothing. So then I turned my call up to full blast, and I hear him make a little noise about 4yds away. My sister was sitting just inside the window watching so I motioned for her to come out. She comes out quietly and we duck down behind the railing and I tell her that we'll wait a few minutes and then I shine the light out and see if he's around, if he is I'll hand her the light to keep on him and then I'll shoot him. I turn around and peek over the railing and I see a shadow moving about 40yds away. So I turn my flashlight on and there he is trucking down the field and stops about 30yds away looking right up at us! So I tell her to stand up and take the flashlight, she does and he just sits there looking at us! So I line him up in my sights and shoot him square in the chest, he just dropped like a rock. I couldn't believe he just sat there!:rolleyes: What a stupid coyote. I weighed him at 31 Lbs and his length from nose to base of tail was 43 inches. So I think he's ok size? Really healthy looking so I don't know why he came in so close? My wife really wanted the fur so she kept saying if I shot one she'd skin it, which she's never skinned anything, but she is a country girl. So she went on the computer and watched a couple Youtube video's and skinning out coyote's and skinned it out in about 2 hrs. She actually did a awesome job too! The next day I made her a Fleshing Beam and we spent about 4hrs fleshing it, since we didn't have a fleshing knife it took forever! Then we tanned it out in our living room:D Now Ive got it up on my wall. I know this wasn't very long range but funny anyways. Hope you guys get a kick out of it.

Here's some pictures.
15715700_large.jpg

15715699_large.jpg

15715701_large.jpg

15715702_large.jpg

15715703_large.jpg

15715704_large.jpg

Awesome! I went out with my 22mag the other day and had no such like calling any in. Other days they'll come in bunches, but I have yet to take one out with my 22. I can't believe how well she skinned that coyote for the 1st time after simply watching a vid. I feel like a wimp. I'll have to try it. No excuses. One of my tenants nailed a yote in the neck with his 22 from just over 100 yards yesterday am. He didn't walk 10 feet before dropping. Keep at it.

Yep, this one I got square in the chest him facing me, dropped like a rock:) I was even using cheap Federal 40gr non hollow point ammo. I generally use the CCI Velocitors, but never shot anything with them, so who knows?:rolleyes: And yes my wife is awesome, I don't think there's anything she can't do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.