Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

We have had good success ranging deer a and coyotes at that distance. You need a solid rest, need to get the target dead center in the sight box, and need to sweeze that button on the RF just like you do the trigger on your rifle. With foreground/background interferences, the near/far button on the G7 works well at distinguishing the interferences, but it does take some practice to master.

Sorry should have been more clear. We were ranging white steel plates(Im guessing about 20 by 30) out to about 1280 yards in bright sunlight. This particular distance was the challenge with brush in the foreground and trees in the background.

I understand what you were having trouble with and have also shared the same problems. A solid rest is important for any RF at these distances, but also know there are G7's out there that need the reticle aligned. To test this I use the tops of a row of electric poles. There will be nothing behind the poles so you can step the distance out one pole at a time until you get an error. When this happened put the pole in the corners of the reticle moving your aim point up or down left or right until you get a reading. Realize you may actually be a little off the pole to get a reading. Once you establish if your reticle needs aligned you can either use it that way knowing where you need to hold, or send it in to be trued. Also at the distance you are having problems the beam of the G7 is very large. This gave me trouble also. I had a RF with a more precise beam that I would use to find what the G7 was picking up as I knew the distance to target it was giving was wrong. At times I could rise above the target and start ranging slowly coming down until it ranged the intended target. But at times this did not work and I had to realize the beam size was a killer for some targets. At distances of 1000 plus I found the near far mode no help and in some cases only made things worse. The far mode got me closer. Knowing where your reticle is aiming will be a big help. That and understanding there will be targets with ground clutter that may produce inaccurate readings will train you to get all you can get from your unit. In the end I opted for a Vectronix and an app.

Jeff

Thanks for this...I would have liked a terrapin and ultimately may go with the plf10. Have you heard of anyone rigging a 2x scope to these for greater magnification? I saw one and was curious.... I will go to work to see if my reticles are off at all.

Thanks for this...I would have liked a terrapin and ultimately may go with the plf10. Have you heard of anyone rigging a 2x scope to these for greater magnification? I saw one and was curious.... I will go to work to see if my reticles are off at all.

I cant say I have seen a doubler on a G7, but have on the Terripins and PLRF10's. I have not found it necessary for my PLRF10 but see the advantage one has. I just don't wish to make my RF more cumbersome to carry. That said I have ranged elk at 2500 plus yards with a PLRF10 in mid day light and know I was indeed ranging the elk it self. A range sent just over the back produced a distance of 7 yards farther to the hillside. A range just below its feet a yard or two shorter. The small precise beam and aiming crosshairs of the Vectronics, along with the hair trigger fire button, that fires on release of the Vectronics, will allow this with repeated accuracy. I like this and have had a hard time straying from it as I know the distance to target is the single most important element of any shooting solution.

Jeff

Yes I believe they stopped shipping them earlier this year...the PLF10 is the next step up with Vectronix and $1500.00 more than the Terrapin. I have seen some from a company called Newcon that folks have mentioned on the forum. One model the LRM2200SI claims performance out to 2200M for $727.00 but I'm skeptical!

A friend just bought a Terrapin from the last shipments in, Vectronix is discontinuing the PLFR 10 as well and going strictly military sales!

I have seen some from a company called Newcon that folks have mentioned on the forum. One model the LRM2200SI claims performance out to 2200M for $727.00 but I'm skeptical!

I have used and owned a Newcon before. But not the 2200M. My impression would lead me to believe you have every right to be skeptical...:D But, if you look at them from the price standpoint I feel they have a place for some users.

Jeff

I've done a bit more research...there is not a terrapin to be found in the US. I even talked to the distributor that got the last shipment...nah da! The other news..maybe not to everyone on this forum...all models up to the PLRF 25 will be discontinued at year end.

Maybe but with a soon to be $6400.00 price point gap I have to believe this is something the Gunwerks guys are working on even if the upgrade from the G7(don't forget the mil solution, additional range,smaller reticle and higher magnification)....comes at a significantly higher price. I don't agree with some that think at a higher price with more features they would only capture another 5% of the market. The market to $8k will be gone after 2014....that is a lot of room to work with on price and features and the G7 is a really good rangefinder.

I've done a bit more research...there is not a terrapin to be found in the US. I even talked to the distributor that got the last shipment...nah da! The other news..maybe not to everyone on this forum...all models up to the PLRF 25 will be discontinued at year end.

Well, that sucks. Not sure I'm going to have the funds to finish my current build AND buy a PLRF 15!

That's what I had understood. I think at the current time that leaves the G7 in a lead capability position if someone is in the market for a high end RF. It almost becomes acedemic to expound the virtues of the Terrapin unless you can get your hands on a used one which is unlikely.

Just last month, a local FFL I know was getting about a dozen of the Terrapins in. I gave him a deposit. Then, I got an offer to obtain the Leica 10x42 HD-B ranging bino's at an incredibly cheap price, with it's internal ballistic calc. I could not pass it up. I've had the HD-B's for about 3 weeks now and was able to compare them with my G7's for the first two weeks. I tell you, it was a hard decision to make because I love the G7; still do. I sold my G7. I know I'm giving up a quality LRF but I wanted two tools (bino and ballistic calc) in one tool.

Now, i've got world class bino's and a high quality ballistic calc inside it. I know, I know. The Leica only goes out to 875 yds per the ballistic calc feature. But beyond 1000 yds, shouldn't we be figuring coriolis and spin drift; which neither the G7 nor the HD-B compute. When I reach 876 yds+ that when i'll pull the angle, temp, baro pressure and yardage off either unit (G7 or HD-B) and input it into my Shooter app.

To be honest, i've yet to figure out if my HD-B will calc to 1000 yds with the SD card, which is programable for precise ballistic data using Leica's online ABC Ballistic System. When you go to their online system and you input your caliber specifics, it gives drop, in inches or moa, out to 1000 yds. I'm nearing the point where I will start using the SD card but I need a new card reader because I can't find mine old one.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.