Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

If you're only shooting deer use a .243. It will kill at long range. No stunt to it, just good shot placement, like any other caliber.
I'd use one on elk if that's what I needed to shoot.

Well after much research the G7 is going to be the product for me. I will let you guys know how it works out for a novice long range shooter.

Once you get your data fine tuned, the G7 unit gives super accurate ballistic solutions.
I have dialed in a bunch of first shot kills on marmots from 600 to 1400 yards using this unit.

I've read through several pages of this thread, but not all. If this question has already been asked and answered, I apologize for the repeat. When those who own the G7 range game and getting accurate readings, are you using it on a tripod or can you accurately range without the use of a tripod? I have big dreams of getting one of these this summer and I don't think the answer will sway me either way, but I am curious. I'm very hopeful that it will not require a tripod as my gun is plenty to pack around as is:).

You do not need a tripod just steady hands! If you plan on ranging way out there a tripod will help you get more consistent and accurate readings however we have used our g7's and got good readings beyond a mile by just resting the range finder on the scope of our rifles while we are laying prone if that makes sense. The steadier you can hold it the better it will work.

I don't use a bipod with my G7 but I'd do try to support it in order to get an accurate reading, particularly with game past.500 yards. My typical rest is to brace the rangefinder against my rifle/scope once I'm in a supported position, either prone or sitting. This practice isn't particular to the G7. I have done it with all the RF's I have owned.

Thanks for the info! I figured the steadier the better, but was really hoping I could make due without having to pack around a tripod. I don't intend on shooting over 1,000, so sounds like I could maybe get by without one. Thanks for the reply!

You still have to do a little calculating for wind. The BR2 will give corrections for wind speeds in 5 mph increments. I measure wind speed with an anemometer, then I use .1 of the 10 mph correction X wind speed. Ex. 4.5 MOA for a 10 mph wind and I have a 3.5 mph cross wind. 3.5 X .45 = 1.575 MOA correction. The angle of the wind to your bullet path will add another variable.

As far putting in wind values I guess you still need a wind meter, and how do you allow for wind direction corrections when you put the end value into the G7 BR2 ?

Yes, you still need to have a wind meter so all other devices are not eliminated unless you want to guess. The G7 gives you corrections in 5 mph wind increments and only for full value wind. You push buttons to page through the values to find you closest wind. If you have a 7 mph wind from a 10 o:clock (1/2 value) you will need to look at the difference between the given 5mph and 10mph then divided that for the 1/2 value you have. One reason I sold my G7 and continue to use my ballistic app. If you want to get down and split hairs on a windy day using an app is just as fast in my opinion.

Jeff

Yes, you still need to have a wind meter so all other devices are not eliminated unless you want to guess. The G7 gives you corrections in 5 mph wind increments and only for full value wind. You push buttons to page through the values to find you closest wind. If you have a 7 mph wind from a 10 o:clock (1/2 value) you will need to look at the difference between the given 5mph and 10mph then divided that for the 1/2 value you have. One reason I sold my G7 and continue to use my ballistic app. If you want to get down and split hairs on a windy day using an app is just as fast in my opinion.

Jeff

I just bought a BR2 and a Kestrel 4500NV Ballistic. I figure between the two i should be able to get a decent solution. (shooter app for backup)

I've read through several pages of this thread, but not all. If this question has already been asked and answered, I apologize for the repeat. When those who own the G7 range game and getting accurate readings, are you using it on a tripod or can you accurately range without the use of a tripod? I have big dreams of getting one of these this summer and I don't think the answer will sway me either way, but I am curious. I'm very hopeful that it will not require a tripod as my gun is plenty to pack around as is:).

One of the benefits of using the G7 is the bigger beam puts more signal on the target when using offhand. The targeting modes can separate near and far targets. I feel this device is one of the best for offhand ranging.

A side benefit of a larger beam, is we can also output more power and remain Class 1 eye safe. Combine the features above with multiple light pulses for additive signal (up to 5 second measurements) and you can really dig ranges out of tough conditions.

We do offer a 1/4-20 thread if you do decide to mount on a tripod, but I would rarely utilize that feature for hunting situations.

One of the benefits of using the G7 is the bigger beam puts more signal on the target when using offhand. The targeting modes can separate near and far targets. I feel this device is one of the best for offhand ranging.

A side benefit of a larger beam, is we can also output more power and remain Class 1 eye safe. Combine the features above with multiple light pulses for additive signal (up to 5 second measurements) and you can really dig ranges out of tough conditions.

We do offer a 1/4-20 thread if you do decide to mount on a tripod, but I would rarely utilize that feature for hunting situations.

Thanks for the great information. It's nice to hear from someone who makes them:)! I can't wait to get my hands on one. It won't be long, I've made up my mind. Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.