Gunsmith Recomendation

Greg Duerr

I need to have my Remington 700 rebarreled and would like your input and feedback on a Gunsmith that you would recomend. My Rifle has a McMillan stock, Jewell Trigger however the smith that put it together did a bad jog on the Chamber Throut and it will not shoot Boat-tail bullets and the throut is so long that I can not seat the 105 or 95gr Bergers out to touch the Rifling..................Right now I can only shoot the 100gr Sierra Pro Huner and the 88gr Berger Varmint with Great accuracy NO boat tail will shoot AT ALL. Its a .243 AI

Just need your feedback and recomendations ............................

G

Would you know the twist of your barrel i have done alot of 243ai for coyote hunters and used 1:9 twist and that works for 95 gr but not the 105 gr. You could have a 1:10 and only the long bearing surface bullets are stabilizing.

Just a thought

I don't know this to be a fact as I'm not a gunsmith but I've been told a bad muzzle crown will have more negative affect on boat tail bullets then flat back bullets. If the person who built it for you screwed up other things, he easily could have done a poor job on the crown as well. I have no idea of your exact situation but it's possible, depending on the shank of your barrel, that a good smith could cut some off the end of your barrel and rechamber it. That will depend on your barrel.

If you're wanting to stay with a 243AI I would contact Travis Redell with RBros rifles. www.rbrosrifles.com Travis not only builds some very nice rifles he is a very big fan of the 243AI. The 243AI and 6.5-06AI are two of his specialties.

Best of luck to you and I hope you get things straightened out.

The Barrel is a Pac Nor Super Match #4 contour 1x9 24inches

Not sure about the crown.......................I talked with Sierra Bullet Teck and was told that often times when you have a long throut you also have a wide throut. He was the one that told me to try Flat base bullets after trying different Boat-tails.....................I have since then had groups that went .394 but most went into the low .4's I orderd a cronograph today as I have no idea of the velocity of the loads that im shooting, that as least would give me some idea of just how much more you can get out of the Ackley.
I just want one rifle that will work 90% of the time with Jackrabbits and Marmonts and a few coyotes here and there. Then there will be the times when I draw a tag like this year. I drew a Mule Deer tag and a Cow elk tag, and yes I plan on using the .243AI on Elk. Its just hard for me to believe that if you place your shot right and keep it under 300 yards that the .243 AI with a good 100gr + bullet should work just fine ....................I have give some thought to having it rebarreled to the .260 or the 6.5 Creedmore.............Its a 700 Short action.

Greg

Greg

I like the Creedmoor and the 243AI have both reamers and they will both do the job your asking of them. 243AI with a 1:9 will shoot 95 gr Bergers but not the 105Gr. 6.5 Creedmoor with a 1:8 will shoot a solid 2900 fps with 140vld type bullets and take 10-15% less powder than 243AI.
To many choices with really simular results.

Good Luck

Steve,

Right now im in between making a decisioin. I like the fact that with the Creedmoor I can still shoot the 85gr Sierra HP as my varmint round and have the option of a 100, 120, 130, or the 140 Makes for a great hunting cartridge.
I would guess that to have my 700 rebarreled with a quality barrel and having it poly koted to match the action Im probably looking at $1,000 Right now it has a #4 countour .............could I go down to a #3?
Deer season opens here on the 9th of October and my Elk season does not open until the 17th of December and goes to the 10th of January.................I will make the decision by then but I just need to see if the .243 AI with the 100gr Pro Hunter will take the Elk ...................I hunted for 15 years with a Muzzle loader shooting the old patch roundball in the .54 I unsderstand bullet placement very well.........

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.