Gunsmith for Ruger No. 1

Who would your recomend for the best/most accurate result for a rebarrel job for a Ruger No. 1-B in 270. Is there a good way to free float the barrel and eliminate the vibrations in this design? Thanks

I think it's best to screw the front of the forearm hanger to the barrel. I f you mill a flat spot on top of the hanger almost at the front of it and then build a washer to fit in there with no slop. Drill and tap a shallow hole in the bottom of the barrel and screw them all together. It's then possible to bed the forearm to the hanger and float it from the rest of the barrel. I have two built this way and they are both 300 RUMs that will shoot under .5 with accubonds. Also consider how you want to mount the scope. I use the 1/4 ribs but it takes quite a bit of messing around to get them just right. I have worked with Hofmeister Custom Shop - Custom Gunsmithing Services with success.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.