Gunsmith for Ruger No. 1

Who would your recomend for the best/most accurate result for a rebarrel job for a Ruger No. 1-B in 270. Is there a good way to free float the barrel and eliminate the vibrations in this design? Thanks

lazylabs

I think it's best to screw the front of the forearm hanger to the barrel. I f you mill a flat spot on top of the hanger almost at the front of it and then build a washer to fit in there with no slop. Drill and tap a shallow hole in the bottom of the barrel and screw them all together. It's then possible to bed the forearm to the hanger and float it from the rest of the barrel. I have two built this way and they are both 300 RUMs that will shoot under .5 with accubonds. Also consider how you want to mount the scope. I use the 1/4 ribs but it takes quite a bit of messing around to get them just right. I have worked with Hofmeister Custom Shop - Custom Gunsmithing Services with success.

Coyboy

Christian Hofmeister is a great guy and will do you right.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce