mount for ruger no.1

rotorhead

I am wanting to put a scout scope on a ruger no. 1 416 rigby Does any body know if there is a mount for this or if a custom mount can be made? Any suggestions.

RH

What is wrong with the regular rings?

I know a little about the trials and tribulations of scopes on #1's but don't understand your problem.

[ QUOTE ]
I am wanting to put a scout scope on a ruger no. 1 416 rigby Does any body know if there is a mount for this or if a custom mount can be made? Any suggestions.

RH

[/ QUOTE ]I believe he wants to mount a long eye relief scope and mount it in front of the action.Hard kicking # 1's tend to come back and meet your nose..jack

With a #1 the problem is usually that the scope is too far forward to begin with and you need extension rings to get it back to you.

I do not know of a problem in mounting the extension rings backward and getting more eye relief but maybe there is a problem. I haven't ever tried that with the Ruger base.

I also know some other tricks that are more expensive.

I don't know about a 416 Rigby but a fully stoked 375 H&H w/300 gr bullets was not a problem with a Leuy 3x9 VXII either off hand or off the bench.

Wasn't it Ian M that used a 416 Rigby in a TC w/a regular type scope to do in a large griz. I don't believe he had a problem with eye relief during load work up or hunting.

Thanks for the responce
I'm not worried about getting a bloody brow. I have just ordered one of these rifles and I wanted to put a leupold fx 2.5 x28scout on it.
I have on a 30/30 mounted forward and I really like it. The scope allows you to have a great sight picture and the sight aquisition is great. I use this 30/30 when hunting in the thick timber up in Missouri and have been able to shoot running deer because with both eyes open you can keep track od trees and brush much better. I always shoot with both eyes open but this scope is low enough powered that it don't mess your vision.
I haven't received the rifle yet so from what I'm reading here It may not even be a problem, I just didn't relize that. The second reason is I don't want a scope over the action I want to be able to reload quickly as next year I plan to chase a cape bufflo with it. A very tough critter.
My brother in law went a few years ago and it took 4 rounds from a 458 and he is a good shot.

RH

If reversing the exstension rings does not work then post again.

The chief obstacle to speed in reloading will be the location of the bullets. Work out a place where they are accessible and fumble proof. If you drop a bullet while reloading don't pick it up but get a new one out. If you try to pick it up you may get sticks and debris which will jam your chamber and then you are in a pickle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you have difficulty with the #1 shooting accurately let us know and we might know some things that might help and then again they might not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You cannot turn around the offset rings unless you either remove the dovetail from the bottom of the rings or mill a new slot in the quarter rib so accept it.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.