Guns your packing in with??

The heavier my LRH rifle gets the more I think about this Sav 111 25-06 pkg gun I saw. Weighs 6.75# with 3-9 on it. The barrel is only 22" but thats a whole lot lighter than my Mod 70. After the holidays is over I might have to write the guy a check. Be a GREAT gun for long hikes.

With my rebuilt leg and old age I decided this year is the time to retool. I have carried the old 338-378 custom since 1979 at 10 1/2 pounds. If I could see it I could kill it was my motto. I was a young man in 79 and an old man now and the gun gets heavier every year. I just built a couple of short mags in 300 and 264-300 that weigh 7 pounds ready to hunt. Maybe they will get me a few more years in the hills. They both shoot one hole groups at a hundred yards.

One thing that I have found is that by replacing my conventional over one shoulder sling with a Boonie Packer Safari sling made an amazing contribution to fatigue relieve. This is one of those cross body style slings. Coupled with my Tikka T3 Lite in 270Win I am good to go.

HS Precision Pro-hunter light in 325wsm, 22 inch barrel, with an Leupold ultralight 3-9 in talley onepiece mounts. 11.3 ounces for the scope and rings, and 5.7 pounds for the rifle.

I use a Eberlestock J107 pack, so gun weight is not so much of an issue, but a light rifle free's up a few pounds for other supplies (especially when you have a 100 pound pack full of elk, and a few more round trips to get it all out).

I don't seem to have that much trouble stabilizing a light rifle, but it takes practice, and the rifle still needs to be well balanced to go along with being light.

I got a Micky Edge Hunter's Compact solid bottom stock for my spare P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt.-.270Win. last year and have Talley lever mts. with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on it. It puts 150NPs in a consistent .6" at 100M and these are at 2900 fps-mv.

The rig handles really well and weighs just over 7 lbs., I may get a Swaro AV 3x9 for it to get the weight down, but, while a FINE scope, as is the Zeiss, this COSTS.

I have several other "packing" rifles and even my custom longrang one is packable as you either get into the mountains here in B.C. or you see very little game....unless you have access to private ranch land....sound familiar?

I have posted about this rifle--and its soon-to-be big brother elsewhere on this site but here is my story: I began backpack hunting at 50 and am now 63--and I can really identify with those who, like me, are starting to feel the pangs of old age. Until about5 years ago, I was happy as a clam, hiking 5-10 miles back of beyond with a 90 pound pack for a 10 day trip. My hunting partner is nearly 20 years younger and has solo climbed McKinley, so I ain't gonna keep up with him anyway! But as the years went by and I hiked in every time with my Browning A-Bolt in 7MM Rem, with Zeiss 3-12 and bipod--11 pounds soaking wet--I woul always end up hiking back to the truck to pick up my spare--a nice little Steyr Professional in .30/06 with 20 inch barrel and Leupold Ultra light scope--8 pounds with 6 cartridges and sling.

Then I decided to get serious:

I had Lex Webernick of Rifles Inc. down here in Texas, build me his lightweight Strata--25 inch ultra light contour Lilja barrel with superbly reworked factory trigger and Swaro 3-12 X 50. Complete with scope, slim muizzle brake, scope covers, sling, and 4 rounds (of .300 Winnie) it tips the scales at 7 pounds 2 ounces. And it shoots factory 180 grain Federal Premium into dime-sized holes.

So now I have the PERFECT mountain rifle. But stupid me--I find this website and get excited all over again--I spent years trying to decide whether to get the Strata or the "Master" series--with 27 inch contour 5 barrel (Teflon finish like the Strata) in .300 Ultra Mag. Oh, and I sprang for the Jewel trigger as well.

So now, when that arrives, I am going to take the 3-12 off the little rifle, mount it on the big one, and replace it with an AV 3-9--bringing total carried weight to exactly 6 pounds 14 ounces--six ounces lighter than my Model 94 Winchester with no scope and full of flat-nosed ammo! And I am going to run down I-35 to San Marcos and have a Jewel trigger mounted on it as well.

So I will end up with a 10 1/2 pound rifle (including Bipod) for the short hikes--or getting out of the truck and setting up to shoot elk or neighborhood dogs :D across the canyon, OR, a 7 3/4 pound rifle (again, including Bipod) for the long treks into the back country.

Both rifles will be a dream to shoot--and will outshoot me for sure. Regards.

Russ

I own a number of light packing rifles.. I've sold a few too.. All have been fairly pricey pieces .. If I had to make a statement about light rifles I'd have to say that Tikka T-3 Lites would be the way to go.. Very accurate out of the box .. Easy to load for.. Replace the mounts with Talleys.. Put a Swaro AV on it ..
Were talking the Whole Package .. Accurate , Light, Reliable, Easy on the Pocket..
That's if I had to do it again..
AK

Just bought a Sav 111 LH 270 off gunbroker for the long hikes. Cant wait to put a 2-7x ? scope on it and a nylon sling. It ought to come in at 7.5# . My LRH rifle gets heavier as I equip it anf the 270 ought to be a good ltwt rifle when dressed.

Well, it's so new I haven't even fired it yet....but I recently (as in...yesterday) came into ownership of a fine rifle that will be the best combo yet for range hunting and packing. It's a Sako lightweight .270 with Leupold 3x9 scope. Unusuall circumstances made it affordable. It feels really sweet, more accurate than my 30-30, and MUCh lighter than my .308.

We'll see. What do you all think?
thanks

for long pack in trips ive just took my remington 700 mountain rifle in .270 win. but the longest shot i ever made on a deer with it was only 400 yards.

I own a number of light packing rifles.. I've sold a few too.. All have been fairly pricey pieces .. If I had to make a statement about light rifles I'd have to say that Tikka T-3 Lites would be the way to go.. Very accurate out of the box .. Easy to load for.. Replace the mounts with Talleys.. Put a Swaro AV on it ..
Were talking the Whole Package .. Accurate , Light, Reliable, Easy on the Pocket..
That's if I had to do it again..
AK

Are the Talley rings lighter than the rings that come with the Tikka?

Flare

I now pack in my Rem 700 synthetic stocked 375RUM and shoot 300gr A-Frames and Gamekings @ appr 2800fps my scope is a Leupold VX111 4.5-14X40mm Boone & Crocket reticle.

I load the rifle with the A-Frames and if the shot is 300 yards + I switch over to the Gamekings.

With no scope adjustments I am dead on @ 460 yards with the second B&C line down and consistanly get 3" 3 shots groups at this range.

Flare
The Tikka Ring set-up is lighter than the Talley Base/Ring Combination.. My faith in the Alloy/Alumina Tikka Factory Mounts is low.. Watch those screws or you'll round them off.. I wouldn't use any Lock-Tite or such on the Tikka Factory Ring set-up..
AK

Flare
The Tikka Ring set-up is lighter than the Talley Base/Ring Combination.. My faith in the Alloy/Alumina Tikka Factory Mounts is low.. Watch those screws or you'll round them off.. I wouldn't use any Lock-Tite or such on the Tikka Factory Ring set-up..
AK

With regards to scope mounts for a Tikka T3. Other than Talley, what other mounts would be suitable? Do Leupold make a set?
I know the Sako Opti-lock mounts are expensive!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.