Guns your packing in with??

Guns I pack

I pack a 17" barreled Encore pistol in 338 Gibbs. Using 180 grain Accubond at 2800fps. With Bi-pods I have taken game to 350 yards and weights right at 6 pounds .
My external frame pack and gear for one week weighs 42 pounds.

I pack a 17" barreled Encore pistol in 338 Gibbs. Using 180 grain Accubond at 2800fps. With Bi-pods I have taken game to 350 yards and weights right at 6 pounds .
My external frame pack and gear for one week weighs 42 pounds.

There's a way to save some weight.

What other gear do you use to go out for a week at 42 pounds? That's pretty good.

Guns I pack with

This maybe should be on the other thread and I suppose I can move it there. If needed.

First I have several old camp trails freighter packs set up for various applications. Goat and sheep is my long distance setup.
1. One pair of socks for each day in the field. Vacuum sealed
2. Helly Hansen light weight soft rain gear
3. Very good grade down 10X type down vest
4. Mountain house freeze dried foods for number of days out plus 5
5. Pre-bagged home mixed trail mix cold ceral with brown sugar and powdered milk in each bag. Number of days plus 5!
6. Re-package box of pilot bread with cheese-frozen and vacuumed and meatcold cuts frozen and repackaged.
7. KEY: Various Odwalla meal replacement bars!
8. Depending on time of year a lightweight all wool change of clothing(except undies) on my body and another vacuum sealed in my pack.
9. Silk unders and cold weather undies.
10. Sierra Design extreme 3 man mountain tent ( 4 Season)
11. Kelty ultra bag two different depending on time of year
12KEY: Thermorest 3/4 length back packer pad
13. Knap saw
14> First aid/survival kit including antibiotic and suture kit.
15. Cook gear is always 1 quart bottle of liquid fuel and packpacker burner-several different styles.
August / Sept hunt pack weighs 32 pounds. Late season or prudoe bay it weighs 42 pounds.

I have to weigh this setup every time I fly into the back country.

This maybe should be on the other thread and I suppose I can move it there. If needed.

First I have several old camp trails freighter packs set up for various applications. Goat and sheep is my long distance setup.
1. One pair of socks for each day in the field. Vacuum sealed
2. Helly Hansen light weight soft rain gear
3. Very good grade down 10X type down vest
4. Mountain house freeze dried foods for number of days out plus 5
5. Pre-bagged home mixed trail mix cold ceral with brown sugar and powdered milk in each bag. Number of days plus 5!
6. Re-package box of pilot bread with cheese-frozen and vacuumed and meatcold cuts frozen and repackaged.
7. KEY: Various Odwalla meal replacement bars!
8. Depending on time of year a lightweight all wool change of clothing(except undies) on my body and another vacuum sealed in my pack.
9. Silk unders and cold weather undies.
10. Sierra Design extreme 3 man mountain tent ( 4 Season)
11. Kelty ultra bag two different depending on time of year
12KEY: Thermorest 3/4 length back packer pad
13. Knap saw
14> First aid/survival kit including antibiotic and suture kit.
15. Cook gear is always 1 quart bottle of liquid fuel and packpacker burner-several different styles.
August / Sept hunt pack weighs 32 pounds. Late season or prudoe bay it weighs 42 pounds.

I have to weigh this setup every time I fly into the back country.

OK, so that doesn't include water, gun and optics weight, right?

The 6 pound handgun I carry has a 3-12 LIR scope and I carry a Nikon or Leupold 10X bino around my neck. I carry a $100. micro-wave water purifier that weighs very little and a 1 liter water bottle attached (beaner)to the outside of my pack. Lashed under the bag flap is one of two ultr-light spotting scopes to 45 power. Think either one weighs 2-3 pounds.

Two things I have found very important and are carried in my shirt or coat pocket is a 2000 degree mini torch/lighter and a compass with a plastic wrapped/laminated map of the area if the area is new to me.

I guess I am like 338Hammer, I carry a Encore 17 in bull barrel pistol in 375 jdj, it will take of anything it has to. I only use a 1.5-4 Burris scope.

Gun to pack with

I've been packing in my solo camp from our main camp at 8000 up to 10,000 ft. with enough gear for a two day hunt and carrying my 300 win mag, rem 700, with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 and a bipod. I love the gun but the older I get the heavier it gets. The next time I pack in for Mule deer I'll be using my Tikka T3 Light 25-06 with another Leupold. With the Berger 115 VLD it shoots long and flat. This saves me 3 lbs. Good luck.
Tim

Tikka T3 Lite - 270 wsm

Tikka T3 Lite - 270 wsm - with a Bushnell 4-12 Yardage pro scope. It's light, with light recoil, and very accurate with Remington 150gr Accutips.

JMDen, what make is the stock? Is that a Richard's?

LOL I know this thread is kinda old but what the heck.

Lighten the Load but stick with the message.

I have decided to retire my pair of 300 win mags after hunting with them for many years. They have accounted for many sheep, bears, moose, and caribou.

This year I am running a 257 Weatherby Mag in a Vanguard Synethic with B&C Medalist classic stock and Talley onepiece Ring Base combo and Kahles KX 3X10X 50 mm scope with 4D rangefinding recticle.

This is a little lighter than the 300 winnies but I am packing a bigger spotter so I cut weight down by 1/2 pound that I will make up in bigger spotter.

This outfit will travel with me on my 100+ mile 10-12 day walkabouts in the mountains after dallsheep.

Sincerely,

Thomas

my rifle of choice?

I have an old .35 MARLIN in real good shape and shoots dang good at 100 yards with a BURRIS scope. I hunt deer, if you ask me how many, I am 53 and cant remember, all
I can say is they went down with onions and the turned to waste. My kids were raised on Deer,Raccoon and Rabbits there were a few partridges along the way too.

Not really a "LongRange" mainly because I don't have the huge scope on it but its a rifle but I built it for backpack hunting. I live in the Rocky Mountans of British Columbia and lightweight gear and Rifles is what I like.

Its a

-Remington m700 Titanium Action,
-trued and squared
-match recoil lug
-Lothar Walther SS Featherweight contour barrel 23.125
-Chambered in 280 Ackley Improved
-11 deg Target crown
-Tubbs titanium firing pin, aluminum shroud and match spring
-Factory trigger set to 3.5 lbs
-MPI Nitro Ultralight stock finished at 17 ounces
-Pillar bedded and glass bedded
-Talley one piece Rings/Bases
-Leupold VXII ultralite scope long range duplex reticle
-BDL bottom metal

weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces with the scope and is a dream to carry all day long.
I do all my own stock work so most of my rifles get new stock, restocking with aftermarket stock gets pretty reasonable $$$ when you do all work yourself.

IMG_1231.jpg

Other backpack rifle projects on the go are a
-Remington Titanium 260 Rem, trying to get to under 5lbs scoped
-Wildcat stocked M700 CDL SF 7mm-08 7lbs scoped
-Bansner stocked M700 300 ultra mag, 7lbs scoped

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.