Guns your packing in with??

Brambles - that's got to be pretty close to perfect for a general-purpose backpacking rifle! Nice...

I like the look on guys faces when I hand it to them, for a long action rifle its pretty darn light, and its very accurate. Actually I haven't yet shot it in the new stock but the Hi-tech specialties stock I had it in it was a .75 MOA shooter with 140 gr TSX. Its the only bullet and the only load I have run through it so far. With more range time and load development I wouldn't be surprised if it goes .5 MOA

Looking forward to shooting it with the new stock.

hiking the steep terrain of colorado, i use a winchester 300 wsm factory classic, with tally one piece ring/bases, a straight luppy 6x, in a mcmillan edge ultralight weight stock.
at 47 other guns are getting heavy, don't know the weight of this one, but i can carry it all day and not want to leave up top, waiting for me the next day. it shoots 150 tsx's molly'd, over 62 grains imr 4064 at almost 3400 fps. worst groups are .75, best if were workin together has been ragged holes.
the worst part about the packin/walkin in, is getting the dead thing out !!!

got my cow elk last season in co., at 723 yards on the other mountain side full of oak brush, used a spotter, 2 of us went up to find her, then the other 4 came up to help get the pieces down.
300 rum/150tsx's.....!!
(like a laser)

I am having Todd Bettin at Bettin Custom Guns build me one of his repeating hunting actions made out of aluminum on a super light custom lone wolf stock in 300WSM. I am going with a 22-24 inch ABS barrel, titanium muzzle brake and one of his custom light weight detachable magazines/floor plate set-ups. The thought is that the rifle should be around 5-5.5 lbs without scope and rings. This should end up being a great pack rifle.

Pack In Guns

I pack in with a Rem. .300 RUM with a 4.5X14 Leupold. I packed with a Rem. 700 Classic 7MM mag. prior to the .300. I am 5' 8" and 61 years old. Never had a problem with the weight of the rifle myself.

I just got my Rem 700 (300 WM) back from Hill Country Rifles.

Factory barrel.
McMillan Edge Sporter Stock.
Leupold 4.5X14X40 LR with BC Reticle
Talley Lightweight ring/bases.
Pillar and glass bedded, trigger tuned and recrowned muzzle.

Overall weight is 7.75 lbs as it sits. Shooting just under 1/2 MOA with 180 Accubonds @ 3025 fps.

My main hunting rifle I had built is an ultralight .340wby built on a Rem 700 action with a 24" Lilja #2 contour with a muzzlebreak. it wears a High Tech straight comb stock no cheekpiece. Without scope it's about 5.75lbs with scope around 7 depending on scope. I've had a Swaro 4-12 A line and an IOR 3-18x42 tactical (too big) on it. This year I"m going to try out a Best of the West Huskemaw scope and see how it does. I've only shot paper out to 700yds and game to 500. It holds .5-.75moa all the way out. But like someone mentioned after 3 shots she starts to get pretty warm. But if I do my part one shot will do. I had Shawn Carlock paint it and it's a beauty now and the barrel and action are all black tefloned up. I love this rifle and it's never let me down. I have found it's the best compromise for me and my type of hunting which is a mix of timber and open meadow with lots of above timberline backpacking.

Not really a "LongRange" mainly because I don't have the huge scope on it but its a rifle but I built it for backpack hunting. I live in the Rocky Mountans of British Columbia and lightweight gear and Rifles is what I like.

Its a

-Remington m700 Titanium Action,
-trued and squared
-match recoil lug
-Lothar Walther SS Featherweight contour barrel 23.125
-Chambered in 280 Ackley Improved
-11 deg Target crown
-Tubbs titanium firing pin, aluminum shroud and match spring
-Factory trigger set to 3.5 lbs
-MPI Nitro Ultralight stock finished at 17 ounces
-Pillar bedded and glass bedded
-Talley one piece Rings/Bases
-Leupold VXII ultralite scope long range duplex reticle
-BDL bottom metal

weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces with the scope and is a dream to carry all day long.
I do all my own stock work so most of my rifles get new stock, restocking with aftermarket stock gets pretty reasonable $$$ when you do all work yourself.

IMG_1231.jpg

Other backpack rifle projects on the go are a
-Remington Titanium 260 Rem, trying to get to under 5lbs scoped
-Wildcat stocked M700 CDL SF 7mm-08 7lbs scoped
-Bansner stocked M700 300 ultra mag, 7lbs scoped

Way nice rifle. 5.5 sounds good. My Win 70 Shadow 7mm 26" isnt that light but I love it anyway. Thx for posting your rifle foto.

Could you give us the specs and a pic of that 7 lb. 300RUM of yours?

Not really a "LongRange" mainly because I don't have the huge scope on it but its a rifle but I built it for backpack hunting. I live in the Rocky Mountans of British Columbia and lightweight gear and Rifles is what I like.

Its a

-Remington m700 Titanium Action,
-trued and squared
-match recoil lug
-Lothar Walther SS Featherweight contour barrel 23.125
-Chambered in 280 Ackley Improved
-11 deg Target crown
-Tubbs titanium firing pin, aluminum shroud and match spring
-Factory trigger set to 3.5 lbs
-MPI Nitro Ultralight stock finished at 17 ounces
-Pillar bedded and glass bedded
-Talley one piece Rings/Bases
-Leupold VXII ultralite scope long range duplex reticle
-BDL bottom metal

weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces with the scope and is a dream to carry all day long.
I do all my own stock work so most of my rifles get new stock, restocking with aftermarket stock gets pretty reasonable $$$ when you do all work yourself.

IMG_1231.jpg

Other backpack rifle projects on the go are a
-Remington Titanium 260 Rem, trying to get to under 5lbs scoped
-Wildcat stocked M700 CDL SF 7mm-08 7lbs scoped
-Bansner stocked M700 300 ultra mag, 7lbs scoped

all my hunting is 'backpack' hunting,

My current main rifle is my remington 700 stainless with aftermarket laminate stock, in .270win. It has a leupold vxiii 3.5-10x40 in talley rings with an anti-cant level, jard trigger and weighs around 7.5lbs scoped. 24" barrel shoots 140gr Accubonds at 3,000+ for .75MOA

My other rifle, which is definitely not for long range, is still getting built but it is based on a remington model 7 action, 20" stainless MAB barrel, chambered in 6x45mm(6mm223), 1:8" twist and factory model 7 contour. It will be bedded into the aforementioned high-tech stock, with a Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 M2 in talley rings

Last edited:
I use a Sako .338 Win Mag loaded with either 225 grn Hornady SP or 300 grn SMK's depending on the game.

Rifle weighs about 9.5 lb which I feel is a bit heavy. As such will be building a lighter rifle in the future. Any ideas.

Tonysnewsetofwood.jpg

Not sure about posting here yet. Having lived and hunted in Alaska most of the past 30 plus years weight is very critical. 2-10 mile hikes day after day are the norm. Heavy brush, hang up guns and when one is tired the brush is a giant pain. Many years ago I always carried a Contender handgun and a rifle because I like hunting with handguns. Since TC came out with the Encore I can now carry a 5.4 pound handgun with a braked 17" barrel/plus 1.5" for brake. I hunt with either a 35 Newton or a rimmed 338 Gibbs using 180 grain Accubonds in the later. 3 X 12 Burris handgun scope tops it off.

The gun is slinged, hooks over the upright posts on my external frame pack. Does not hang on anything either with a butt stock nor the barrel which is lower than my frame upright. I regularly practice to 600 yards and the two guns I specifically go too will shoot 3" at that range.

ANother option for long gun hunters is to put on a synthetic buttstock with adds another pound I hear.

Neal

I've been packing a custom built Remington 700 in 300 weatherby. It has a 26 in barrel and a leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 sitting on top of it. While this is not the lightest rifle (coming in around 14 lbs). It certainly gets the job done for me.

100_0056.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.