Gunderson Powder Scale ???

Wile E.,

I have at least three friends who have them, and each of them would be more likely to part with their left testicle than give them up, under any circumstances. What information are you looking for here? You have a chance to buy one?

Kevin,

A recent acquisition from an estate sale, one of the items I think I have is one of these scales. I understand that only a couple hundred of these scales were ever made back in the late 50's or early 60's.

The unfortunate part is that it is in pieces and doesn't appear to be complete. And, some of the parts might be damaged - as in possibly crushed or bent and some are burnt. This may have been in a fire a very long time ago. If I could find some pictures and/or drawings/sketches I might want to try to re-construct it.

I went to the estate sale looking for old wood working tools and came away with a motherload of reloading stuff - tools, brass, expendables and notebooks. The parts of the scale were in an old shoe box that someone had written "gunderson scale" in china marker. When I found it, the box had about 1/4" of dust on it under a work bench and the only wood working tools I found was a spokeshave and a wooden plane.

All of the three that I've seen were housed in grey metal, and of fairly good size, like a file cabinet. I don't know that I've ever seen a schematic or a owner's manual, not even sure that Gunderson ever wrote anything like that. As you mentioned, they are very rare, and only a very small number were ever produced. Still, the things are worth their weight in gold to a serious reloader. The closest thing to them that's ever been produced is probably the Prometheus, which is likewise very limited in production, and very pricey indeed.

Let me drop a line to Mid and see if he has any pictures or knows of a schematic on these. Drop me a PM and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

I've been doing some digging on the internet and found what appears to be a copy of the filed patent drawing and description. I've printed it out. Looking quickly at it, I am definitely missing some pieces. I recognize a few things on the drawing but not all of it. I'll look at this more closely tonight keeping in mind there may be differences between what was filed and what was built.

I'll let you know what I find in the next day or two. Thanks again.

I have one and I have the manual that comes with the Gunderson electric scale. If you want a copy or info on this powder measure call me I live in SLC Ut 801 541 1153

Attachments

• Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 002.jpg
    Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 002.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 001.jpg
    Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 003.jpg
    Stuff Gunderson powder scale and measure 003.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 134
I have one and I have the manual that comes with the Gunderson electric scale. If you want a copy or info on this powder measure call me I live in SLC Ut 801 541 1153

Thanks for the offer and it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, what I have is only a parts of the unit and it is damaged.

A few weeks ago I was introduced to someone near me who has a working Gunderson scale. From that meeting we determined that my parts were just that, parts and a significant portion of the unit was missing. Additionally, some of my parts are damaged.

Since he had a working unit and my parts would only collect dust in the shop, I gave the parts to him should he ever need them.

Thanks to everyone who offerd help with my request here. Thank you.

I think alot of these scales went by the way side. It even takes special care when moveing them. I have never even used mine and don,t intend on useing it.
I know it works and I am happy measureing one at a time.

I no longer have any info on Gunderson Scale . I sold mine and with it went all the info.

Thanks for all your responces and phone calls for info . till latter Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.