Gun writer statements that are no longer applicable or you don't agree with.

The .270 is a **** fine coyote gun...same author made a 600 yard revolver shot on a mule deer. There are others.....
Antonio you are referring to Elmer Kieth. Him and Jack O Connor had a hate on for each other and of course Jack loved the 270. Also Elmer for a game rifle wanted a 33 and up. Elmer was a crochety old man but one good thing is he started Ross Seyfried and Bob Hagel. Seems it rubbed off on Ross. He went into the office of Wolf publishing I am thinking and was screaming at the girls for editing his article. He no longer writes for them.

The 6.5/.264 caliber is a complete failure in the American shooting scene !
Fast twist and longer heavy bullets are a new concept in long range shooting
The 3006 is the all around best cartridge because of the range of bullet weights 55 sabot through 220 grain. ( like they can all be stabilized in the same rifle)

The 6.5/.264 caliber is a complete failure in the American shooting scene !
Fast twist and longer heavy bullets are a new concept in long range shooting
The 3006 is the all around best cartridge because of the range of bullet weights 55 sabot through 220 grain. ( like they can all be stabilized in the same rifle)
I remember hearing folks talk about this marketing scheme of it's time. Probably would have been true if accuracy of no more than a couple hundred yards or less was needed for a 55gr or 220. Maybe most people wasn't shooting that far. It was a innovative idea but didn't really work that great. Probably still wouldn't ever work that great today if tried again.

Precisly. He's stuck in his ways, behind the times and not open to change. He regularly bashes anyone who takes shots beyond 300 yards while hunting.
Exactly, I'm still hung up on him bashing a manufacturer for putting a 26" barrel on a 300 win mag. I have nothing against any one who would want a shorter barrel on a 300wm but I certainly can understand how he could criticize the manufacturer for going 26". Hey D. Petzal, how about buying yourself a 30-06 or 308 Winchester if you want a 22" barrel and are only going to shoot no more than 300 yards.

Exactly, I'm still hung up on him bashing a manufacturer for putting a 26" barrel on a 300 win mag. I have nothing against any one who would want a shorter barrel on a 300wm but I certainly can understand how he could criticize the manufacturer for going 26". Hey D. Petzal, how about buying yourself a 30-06 or 308 Winchester if you want a 22" barrel and are only going to shoot no more than 300 yards.
[/QUOTE
Oh I understand , I was just making lite of your comment. You didn't mince words!

I liked Jack OcConner. He promoted the 270 Winchester and it was well deserved. It's certainly a fine cartridge. I just don't see how the 264 win mag & 280 Remington was over looked for so many years, not that it matters cause it's water under the bridge. There's some fine cartridges today that are better than what the big manufactures have developed that may never go mainstream but should. Sherman cartridges come to mind.

Antonio you are referring to Elmer Kieth. Him and Jack O Connor had a hate on for each other and of course Jack loved the 270. Also Elmer for a game rifle wanted a 33 and up. Elmer was a crochety old man but one good thing is he started Ross Seyfried and Bob Hagel. Seems it rubbed off on Ross. He went into the office of Wolf publishing I am thinking and was screaming at the girls for editing his article. He no longer writes for them.

So true. I remember reading that Elmer considered the 300 Win mag loaded with the old 250 gr Barnes a good deer load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.