Gun for my 7 year old

My son just turned 9 a few weeks ago and he shot a centerfire for the first time this summer. He is using a braked 6.5cr with a shorter LOP, 24" barrel. I used earplugs and electronic muffs, and told him it would kick and shoved his shoulder a few times to let him know what it would feel like -not a perfect representation by any means but I didn't want him to react negatively on the first shot.

The first day he was nailing the 100and was shooting 1MOA groups. I was shooting longer range and he wanted to, so I let him go out to 200, 300, then 500. He did well at all ranges. Hitting steel was fun for him bc he could see it and hear it. I checked a couple of times for recoil by not loading a cartridge and he wasn't flinching at all. This was with a bipod and rear sand bag.

Keep it fun, and use tons of ear protection...the blast can be worse than the recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.