Gun choices

Maybe that 7RM is causing the fever, if that is the case I'll gladly take it off of you.:)

Hahaha you are probably right. It is generally when people start wanting to buy it that I lose the fever. I have put a lot of time into loads, bedding, and accessory accrual that I just can't seem to let it go for any less that what I have into it at this point.

Right now I am taking my old 270 win BDL that I bought for my first deer rifle and upgrading it a little. I am gonna pillar bed it, float the barrel, put a tactical bolt knob on it. They I got a cheap Vortex Crossfire that I am gonna replace my old Simmons with just because I don't want to put a lot of cash into this project. I have some 130 berger to give a whirl with it. Gotta decide what to do about the trigger yet as I can only get it down to about 4 lb safely. Only downside is the 22" barrel. Probably in the end won't get shot much anyways but it is something to keep me busy for a while after hunting season anyways. I find after I put the time into this stuff I become attached to it. Lol

Hahaha you are probably right. It is generally when people start wanting to buy it that I lose the fever. I have put a lot of time into loads, bedding, and accessory accrual that I just can't seem to let it go for any less that what I have into it at this point.

Right now I am taking my old 270 win BDL that I bought for my first deer rifle and upgrading it a little. I am gonna pillar bed it, float the barrel, put a tactical bolt knob on it. They I got a cheap Vortex Crossfire that I am gonna replace my old Simmons with just because I don't want to put a lot of cash into this project. I have some 130 berger to give a whirl with it. Gotta decide what to do about the trigger yet as I can only get it down to about 4 lb safely. Only downside is the 22" barrel. Probably in the end won't get shot much anyways but it is something to keep me busy for a while after hunting season anyways. I find after I put the time into this stuff I become attached to it. Lol
One of my buddies bought a Crossfire II 4-16x44 and he got it on sale locally for like $120 out the door. He bought it for a cheap and quick scope to get one of his rifles up and shooting. So he brought it to my house, I worked my magic mounting it up and bore-sighting it. We went out to the range, and shot it and sighted it in. Let me tell you, I'm pretty dang impressed with that cheap scope.

I actually had mine on my sendero before I put my leupold on. **** an antelope at almost 60 with it. I don't worry about breaking it much because of the warranty. Mine is a 6-24x50 that I paid $100 for on closeout. It will be mounted kinda high because of the 50 mm but will surely be a good scope. I am thinking about of those stickers for the turrets once I get it lined out.

I grew up with Remingtons top to bottom. I bought 2 different 700bdls though that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

A friend loaned me a pre 64 Winchester 300 mag since I was SOL with my Remingtons and it saved my one and only mule deer hunt.

I've had a love affair with the Model 70 every since and currently own 16 of them in different calibers. I love the big claw extractor, 3 position safety and triggers.

There's certainly more aftermarket support for the Rem 700 but everything you can need or want is available for the Winchesters as well. It is an incredibly strong action and I have yet to have one fail me under any circumstances or conditions.

For scopes I always say figure out the most you can possibly afford to spend on one then save another 20-30% and buy the very best glass you can. Take quality over magnification, take larger objectives and side parallax adjustment over magnification or cool factors.

You don't need to look cool at the range, you just need to know that when you pull the trigger you are on target and put it where you want it to be.

Most of my scopes are IOR Tacticals, Leupold VX3, VXIII, Mark 4's or VX6's. They all serve me well.

Clarity, light gathering ability, and percentage of light making it from the objective to eye, sharpness ad clarity of resolution are the keys and of course accurate and consistent adjustments.

If you can shoot sub MOA consistently it doesn't matter if you spend 5 grand on a custom rifle and 2 more on your glass or a thousand on a decent rifle another 750.00 on a good used scope, it makes no difference because both are getting the job done.

It's real easy to get lost i the keeping up with the Jones' and blow a hell of a lot of money you can't afford to spend on the latest, coolest or coolest stuff. Just set reasonable goals and buy what you need to get the job done and you too can keep the freezer full.

Yeah when I bought this scope a few years ago it was just a get me by scope until I could get something better. Now I have a leupold vx-3 that I really like and this vortex has been just hanging around. So I think it is time to bust it out and see what it has now. It is a steep upgrade from the one that is on it and will do alright for a backup gun. I am kinda relishing the ch allege of taking a gun that shoots alright considering it has a chappy scope, heavy trigger, and never seen reloads and trying to turn into a reliable alternative to my Sendero

Ah heck, I was visiting my buddy when I was up north for some hunting and sausage making a couple weeks ago, and I think he finally talked me into buying his 300RUM BDL. He is gonna let me just throw him a little money here and there and then when it is paid off, I will take it home. I am gonna still keep my Sendero 7RM though. Had some good success at long range kills with it this fall so it isn't going to go anywhere.

Not sure what I am gonna do with this new purchase. The stock has been bedded. Might throw my Vortex on there, shoot some descent factory stuff out of it and see how it shoots, then go from there. Or maybe put some reloads in it??? idk I am almost certain that if I put a new trigger in it and feed it some reloads I can make it shoot real well for a long ways away!

We'll see how the recoil is. Might have to take it up to Chad Dixon and see if he can put a brake on that skinny little barrel. We'll see how it shoots as is though first I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.