Gun choice

i'm likely to stick with large does or medium to large bucks [if im lucky]. i'm in central kentucky and can likely shoot small does without alot of trouble.

i'm guessing from 130-200 range depending on what walks infront of me. i'll be filling the deep freezer as my son is now hunting with his .243. i'm hopeing he gets a nice doe on Jan 2-

what do you recommend for the range of what i'm looking for?

Also- what website is good for ordering ammo or am i better at a gun shop of Dicks Sporting Goods/Bass Pro Shop store? i've searched www.sportsmansguide.com and they seem cheaper than one of the big stores locally in lexington ky

thanks again for your help

for the .243 any of the 85 to 100 grain will work. for the .308 i would use 150 or 165 balistic tips

For a 200yrd shot, try the tried and true Remington 100grn Cor-Lokt. Not a big fan of it, but I have used it with great result on deer in PA woods. I load 95grn SST's now. Waiting for my nephew to poke one to see how they work. Your rifle may like the Remmy load, it may not. If it holds an 1.5" or 2" at 100yrds you'll be golden. If you want to start reloading the 243, then I would suggest the 100grn SPBT, Hornady 95 SST, Hornady 87 V-max, and Sierra 85 HPBT. All proven to anchor deer with accuracy and authority.

For hunting deer in a long range application, it was suggested to me by our .308 enthusiast and guru (Michele Eichele) to use the 200grn SGK because it has a lower opening velocity of 1500fps. He also said to try the 208 Hornady A-max. I plan to use 155's (SMK Palma, possibly Berger 155.5, or the Nosler Custom Comp. Even considered the Lapua Scenar) for varmint and target applications. This should help to buck wind nicely and perform admirably at ranges past 1000 for gopher's. According to ballistics. I don't go sub sonic with 155's until after I run out of turret adjustment anyway. So it really isn't that imperative.

Tank

Hey Wildcatfan1 - Got your PM but I have been down for the count with the flu.

IMHO, liltank hit the nail on the head with his first post: For a 200yrd shot, try the tried and true Remington 100grn Cor-Lokt.

I'll explain why....

Every rifle is a little bit different as to what it likes and doesn't like to shoot. Since you are not reloading you can not play with different powders, seating depths, etc. The way to find you rifle's favorite ammo is to buy a box or two of several different brands and shoot them at the range to see what works best. Given the fact that you are shooting CXP2 size game out to 300 yds you can start with the cheaper ammo using some of the tried and true traditional bullets like Remington's Core-Lokt, Speer Hot-Cor, Winchester Power Point series, and Sierra Gamekings. With the exception of the Gamekings all of these can be found for just under $20 a box.

I went through this process myself with my 243 before I had room in the house to set up my reloading bench. I started with the Federal Power Shock (80 gr soft points and 100 gr Hot-Cor) then moved to Remington (80gr soft points and 100 gr Cor-Lokt). The first three shot decent but with the 100gr Cor-Lokt I was able to achieve .3 MOA! This shocked me as factory 243 barrels usually don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize bullets over 95 gr (which is why you see so many 95gr premium factory loads) but I guess Remington designed the 100gr Cor-lokt to stabilize perfectly in their 9 1/8" twist factory barrels.

My advice to you would be to skip the federal power shock and pick yourself up two boxes of the Rem 100gr Cor-Lokt. Use the first box to break in the barrel and the second to see how your gun likes the ammo. If you are not pleased with the results start moving up the price ladder...the Hornady Custom 95 gr SST for $24/box looks promising and has good reviews. The Superformance version looks promising too....

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts