Gun choices

mrb1982

I own a 7RM Sendero that will shoot .45 MOA out to 700yds. I may have the opportunity to sell it and end up with a 7RM and 300 rum in sporter barrels. This poses the question. Would you rather have one heavy barreled gun or two sporters? I kinda like projects so I would restock, put some good glass on, and do some trigger work to make the sporters a little better. I know they have few rounds through them and both shoot under 1 moa as they stand. I am interested in hunting out to 1000 yds max. Will a sporter barrel hold that far out consistently? Just curious what others think. One trusty gun is all one needs but two guns instead of one is always intriguing too. Haha

I would keep any gun that held .45 MOA at 700 yards. I would then go buy a sporter of your choice and work with that. Most sporters don't hold that well at long range. Some of it probably has to do with the light weight and some to do with consistent barrel harmonics.

Yeah kinda what I was thinking. I have put an adjustable cheek piec3, brake, and jewel trigger in it. In all actuality it will kill anything I need in the elevations I hunt out to a 1000 so it is really all I need. In all actuality a 300 rum in a sporter almost seems like a little bit of a waste. But I will probably buy it and find out. Lol

If you find any factory rifle much less with a sporter barrel that holds under 1moa out to 1,000yds you'll be a very lucky man.

To answer your question though I like having one each heavy and sporter weight rifle in all of my medium/big game calibers.

If you are off on a once in a life time hunt in rough country that suddenly becomes very rough country that lighter rig can be a godsend, but you will have to keep in mind it's accuracy limits.

Rifles are like bullets, there is none that are magic and thus perfect for every range, situation, or game. I even have my wife convinced that it is so true I must have quite a few rifles in a number of calibers around, "just in case".:D

Hahaha. Yeah I hear ya there. I kinda want to put together a nice 243 also but I have an addiction to magnums. But I am sure my kids would appreciate it in a few years. On the other hand, my 7RM Sendero with a brake is about the most tame rifle I have ever shot and I think my kids could shoot it super easily. Hmmmmm. Hahaha

I own a 7RM Sendero that will shoot .45 MOA out to 700yds. I may have the opportunity to sell it and end up with a 7RM and 300 rum in sporter barrels. This poses the question. Would you rather have one heavy barreled gun or two sporters? I kinda like projects so I would restock, put some good glass on, and do some trigger work to make the sporters a little better. I know they have few rounds through them and both shoot under 1 moa as they stand. I am interested in hunting out to 1000 yds max. Will a sporter barrel hold that far out consistently? Just curious what others think. One trusty gun is all one needs but two guns instead of one is always intriguing too. Haha

Keep the Sendero, and continue posting once this fever has broke, that was affecting your thinking. :D

Keep the Sendero, and continue posting once this fever has broke, that was affecting your thinking. :D

The doctor agrees. :D

My 7RM Sendero is one of my favorite rifles. I'd rather carry that rifle and tolerate the weight, knowing that it will perform on the other end, than worry about whether or not my "maybe" 1 MOA rifle will perform.

I would suggest that the cure for your problem is just to buy more rifles so you can try them all.

hahaha Real nice. Not a bad idea. The list of guns I would ever want to get rid of is a lot shorter than the ones I want to buy!

hahaha Real nice. Not a bad idea. The list of guns I would ever want to get rid of is a lot shorter than the ones I want to buy!
Mine is short.....Remington 700's.

Because I can turn them into whatever guns and calibers I want, because of the massive diversity of aftermarket support for them.

Had/have a Weatherby MK-V Accumark....Not impressed at all with the quality control and accuracy. Don't plan on owning another one.

Had/have several older Ruger 77 MKII's. Great rifles, no aftermarket support, therefore they make horrible actions to build customs off of. But if you get one in stock form that will drive tacks, then you got yourself a great rifle.

Will never own a Savage. Period. The end.

I guess myself I am kinda a Remington guy. I just feel comfortable with them. Been able to make them shoot. Then if I stay with the same stuff I can swap certain mounts and whatnot around as I buy other rifles or optics. Like the other guns too, they shoot good. Just never owned on I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.