Green horn here, what are the biggest things youve learned from reloading good and bad?

Check everything at least twice during the process. This will save mistakes like dropping powder without primers in the case, seating a bullet without a powder charge, using the wrong powder, seating bullets with die set for the wrong projectile, etc.

I've done all except the wrong powder but came very close once with almost mixing up VV N-540 and N-550.

I've reloaded for over 50 years. I've done stupid stuff. I have blown up a rifle. Learn what not to do first.
Read the preface of the Hogdon's manual. TINSTAFL. Once you understand that you can begin to understand the truely advanced and worthwhile information put forward otherwise.

Enjoy your journey! You have something that wasn't available to me in 1969, this forum.
Know its not funny but looking back on destroying a rifle sticks with you. Friend I hunted Colorado with was loading for his 44 mag pistol. His teenage daughter had some kind of drama and got him distracted. He came back to loading bench and started to load his 300win mag. With 2400 pistol powder. Not changing to 4831. You can guess what happened. Rifle was a Colt/ Sauer made in Germany. He sent it to them to see if they could extract the bolt. It was returned with a letter congratulating him on buying a quality rifle that probably saved his life. They couldn't get the bolt out either.

A lot of great advice has been offered here. I've been at this for a long time and my best comment is to take this advice to heart and enjoy the process. It will be a lifelong journey of learning and possibly some mistakes. Distractions for me are the main cause of potential problems. Slow and steady is my mantra.

Listen to what's above.
If you have the budget to buy "Quality gear" then buy once cry once. Now saying that does not mean going down that proverbial rabbit hole. Buy one good press, good scales and good brass.
Some people swear by Lee dies and equipment. Now if that's all your budget allows for many years to come then yes, it can be used with some success. But if you can spring for a heavier stronger press then it's gonna last a lifetime and you might feel better for it.

A good O frame press is all you need , if you feel the others are warranted then choose one and start a thread on presses to narrow down the choices or the pros and cons.

A good press, scales and dies will be the bare minimum. Kits might bundle in some inexpensive tools to add value.

I think Hornady dies are good. Maybe Redding are better then there are more expensive brands.
I have achieved sub moa in hunting rifles that were rebarrelled by a gunsmith So it's a bit to do with the rifle and a bit to do with the nut behind the butt, then you tune the load to the rifle.

I'm no expert but read heaps loaded heaps and enjoy the practice of reloading without taking it to the level match competitors do.

Start safe stay safe.
I would add one thing. I would go for full length bushing dies to start with. That way if you want sometime down the road you can change the neck size. That cost a little more, but you can deviate on nesks. That about the only thing I would think about.
I started cutting necks a very long time ago. I though about what I was doing to my cases and being chambering in the rifle. I did learn to anneal my cases. That extended the life of the case by about 3 times. I would only get about 3 firing before. After that my cases would last until the primer pocket got to loose.
I am using Redding bushing dies presently. I am not saying one way or the other. A set of caliper should be acquired too.
Good luck! Have fun.

A lot of great answers here but the simple is. Any more it has to be a passion. You can still save a little but components are very hard to find at times. It cost a lot to get set up with good equipment and your always buying more LOL. Or it seems so. If you think you can order a few items and bang (pun) you have great ammo it doesn't work that way. But if you have a passion for being able to shoot the very best the rifle can do to the point of being anal. Then it's for you. And this site has the greatest bunch of guys that will help with any question. Hope that helps.

I'd been reloading for about 30 years, then got into competitive Benchrest (the short-range 6PPC game). It's now 17+ years and 120,000+ rounds later. Reloading the same cartridge for sub-.100" groups will teach you A LOT about wind and the reloading myths that apply to all cartridges. My avatar picture was a 5 shot .116 group at 200 yards shot at my third match (~1/16MOA) -- I'm still trying to beat it :)
  • Always FL resize.
  • Measure your shoulder bump and aim for .002" -- not <.001" and definitely not >.004".
  • Seating depth can make as much difference as 2-3 grains of powder -- and it's much easier to get right/repeatable.
  • Forget the coolest-ever reloading room in the basement/garage. Be able to put the essentials in a tackle box. Make it portable so you can develop loads on the range. Even a RockChucker clamped to a 2x6 on the tailgate is better than driving back and forth.
  • Buy QuickLoad (or download Gordon's Reloading Tool) -- most reloading manuals are lawyer approved and therefore functionally useless. They are nearly always missing some key columns of info like % of case capacity and % total powder burn.
  • Pressure curves and propellent/case efficiency contribute far more to accuracy than velocity or BC.
Honestly, I thought I was a reloading wizard until I started shooting BR -- then I discovered that those guys had forgotten more about reloading than 99% of shooters even knew existed. Spend a day watching them shrink ragged .350 groups down to .090 and you get a different perspective on what accuracy can be.

The thing I've learned is "If you ain't compressin', you're just messin".......but seriously, I'm kidding

If you think it matters it probably matters.

Find out if things work for yourself, don't always take someones word for it.

Learn to develop a process that generates results on target.

Just because someone has a Youtube account or posts a large word salad with fancy terms doesn't make them an expert.

All great advice, if you know someone that is a seasoned reloader. Talk to them, see if you can get to see there set up. If your serious about reloading, you will never stop reading about it. Buy as many reloading books as you can, books are priceless for loading. Sure you can find it on the internet, but it is not the same. Hope this helps. 😎