Green horn here, what are the biggest things youve learned from reloading good and bad?

Good stuff here. Like to add that every barrel every chamber is different. What worked in the last 6.5cm will not work the same in the next and might even be dangerous. I would think that for most people , reloading means they want to get closer to the "edge". Tighter tolerances, higher speeds, better accuracy. Closer to that edge, just dont fall off.

1. Load for accuracy, not speed -- the fastest load is rarely the most accurate.
  2. Shortcuts at the bench are paid for with frustration and lousy groups
  3. Consistency in your technique is the single greatest tool in your tool box.
  4. Slow and steady -- it's not a race, except for the bullet, once it leaves the barrel.
  5. Plenty of reloaders will extol this tool and that tool and say, "buy once, cry once." Reloading and shooting each is a rabbit hole and as deep as you want to go, there's cost and learning to be had. When I think about that next thing I really want, I think about a mentor's best friend who used a Lee Loader to hand load for an old Winchester 270 with iron sights. He tried to teach me how to use iron sights once, and I watched him as he put round after round in the bull at 100.
    My point being - you can spend oodles of money, be a great reloader, but your skill with your rifle is the most critical one to develop to a sharp point.
Edit to add - if you haven't yet discovered it, check out Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility - I hear great things about it.
P7M13 Hit it all pretty much on the head perfectly.

Learn the fundamental elements - read manuals, plan carefully, analyze results, keep records & photos - develop tools for systematic record keeping, develop library (computer software & paper) for selection & assembly of equipment/components (avoid buying stuff that don't work good). Critique shooting events using tools like Google Earth & field notes to analyze performance - improve loads & selection of components for optimum results.

Observe & copy techniques of others who get better results.

Don't get under the assumption your going to save money, a sharp pencil and honest complete figures will show.

Oh sure I could say I have this that and the other, look at replacement cost.
I just recently acquired a rifle and caliber I had never fooled with before, 220Swift if your wondering. I found loaded ammo, cheaper than components would have cost me.

You can build some good accuracy loads, but still pretty tuff to argue with good factory stuff.

Also as stated above keep notes!!! And write on targets all the data! For some reason I just don't do that as I should. Have some fantastic groups and think "I will remember that"

Load powder to the best ES and SD velocity then tune the group with seating.
Lots of beginners shoot for good groups first and find terrible ES and SD, if that's not as low as you can get it, it's hard to diagnose problems with lots of vertical spread. So get it right and then tune for tight groups.

Buy a mandrel for every cartridge and ditch the expander. (That's just personal opinion, but it's something I wish I would've started out with instead of 15 years into the hobby. Would've saved me some headaches.)

Buy the best brass you can afford.
What ever you do, do it exactly the same every time.

These are just a few things that I do to save me lots of time and components.
Everyone is going to the same place just on a different bus.

Last edited:
Two things I wish I had learned a long time ago:

1. Keep good notes, maybe even on targets so the results are obvious with the loads, but for sure in a well organized notebook, and

2. Organize your reloading space so you can find stuff. Shelving on the walls is my latest project, and when that's done I resolve to organize the stuff on shelves so I can find it. We'll see how that works out -- I've never been good at keeping resolutions.

Lots of good advice here so far. When starting out you will want to get right to the loading and shooting, but take the time to read the front section of your load manuals. There are plenty of threads on this forum that can be read for advice also. I can't stress how important it is to keep good records before and after shooting. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your new hobby.

All the above is great advice, heed it. You don't need the best of everything to load excellent ammo. I've been using a Lee turret press for two decades. It works great for pistol as well as rifle.I've got one guy I load for that carries around a planner book with the targets he's shot with his 300 Rum.that are bug holes. He was upset about the speed he was getting until shot it. Don't chase speed above all else!

I've reloaded for over 50 years. I've done stupid stuff. I have blown up a rifle. Learn what not to do first.
Read the preface of the Hogdon's manual. TINSTAFL. Once you understand that you can begin to understand the truely advanced and worthwhile information put forward otherwise.

Enjoy your journey! You have something that wasn't available to me in 1969, this forum.

I'm proud of you for taking up reloading! I load for fair number of people, I've encouraged them to learn to load their own ! Most have said I don't have time to learn or to old to learn something new. I've bought two high end rifles and several $$$$ scopes from the money loading ammo for them ! Think what they could have bought in equipment with that $$. All this in the last 4 years of covid and panic buying of supplies. I had large supply of components bought when it was cheap.