Grandsons first rifle. UPDATE IT’S DONE!

softtail103

My 9 year old grandson just passed his hunters education class. I have ordered him a custom rifle. 7mm-08
Stiller Predator action, HS Precision stock with 12.5 LOP, HS Precision DBM bottom, Hart 22 inch barrel 1-8 twist. Trigger Tech Diamond trigger. Looking for some load data and reasonable effective hunting range for a black bear.

Looking for some load data and reasonable effective hunting range for a black bear.
Bait? Treed? Alpine berries? Clear cuts? Spring green up? His personal abilities?

I'd probably go with 120 grain Hammer Hunter, capping range 150-200 yards for a youngster.

Sounds like a nice rifle.

Great rig for the G-son way cool!

Add about any bullet and he'll be good to go for bears. The big thing is getting him comfy with the rig, and knowing when to drop the hammer and when not to. You probably know this but a bad hit on a bruin means a very tough if not impossible track job.

Personally I'd start him with deer or lopes and then go to bruins.

Great rig for the G-son way cool!

Add about any bullet and he'll be good to go for bears. The big thing is getting him comfy with the rig, and knowing when to drop the hammer and when not to. You probably know this but a bad hit on a bruin means a very tough if not impossible track job.

Personally I'd start him with deer or lopes and then go to bruins.
Can't hunt bears your whole life if you don't start as a kid.
Sounds like a great rifle in a great cartridge. You are proving to be a darn good G'Pa!

UPDATE,
It's all coming together. Just need that Hart barrel. Going to go green on the metal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138