The “It’s just a hunting rifle” Saying Bugs Me

Bob, Back in the late '60's early '70's, I was more "anal" about accuracy than I am now! I had a Win. Model 88 in .308 Win., and wasn't satisfied until I was getting sub 1", 5 shot groups at 100. Today, with far better equipment, I'm content with .5" to .75", 3 shot groups from my hunting rifle. But, I'm restricting my shots to a bit closer than many here!

For those that are shooting with today's superior equipment, I can certainly understand their desires for getting the absolute best they can. Both, as a personal challenge and a test of their equipment! I simply can't devote the efforts required to attain those levels! I admire their dedication to the sport! memtb

Ruger 77/17, volquartsen SS barrel, sleeved and shimmed bolt, pillar/glass bedded paddle stock, 6-24 bushnell 30, trigger resprung and stop installed, cc A17 ammo. Best 5 shot group at 100 was .247, but averages in the .6 - .7 range. Ammo is the big wildcard with the 17hmr. I unfortunately wasn't able to get my hands on a supply of that .2 ammo lot number.

Nice! CPC reworked a 10/22 Butler Creek SS .920 to go on my 77/22. WW PowerPoints - the original ammo, shoots 10 in a dime at 50. Did trigger spring. Have a business card shimmed near the rear of the barrel. That's it. It will not shoot like a good 17, I hear great things. Yours does very well. Heard of folks shimming Ruger Bolts to clean up the slop. Seems to help in the Hornets as well. Your rifle should make headshots on squirrels a given to 100 or more when you do your part. Good hunting!
Re: post above in 1/2 MOA. That's my goal to find that accuracy with any centerfire. Also agree that a 1 MOA which a great many will do if you find a load and sometimes minor bedding etc done - that's usually plenty for deer sized game at common distances. No doubt this is the LR forum. Never hurts to have extreme accuracy to remove that variable. Then other things come to play as most know. Wind. Drop. Etc. But again lest anyone not have confidence due to less than grouping. See what a rifle will do. First shot cold bore. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Most of my long time hunting buddies think I'm either nuts or give me the "deer in the headlights look" when we discuss guns and accuracy potential in each of their rifles.
Yet, I enjoy it and just learn to accept their beat up, under-scoped "crow bars" they toss into the truck. To them, it's just a hunting gun.
What suxs is having to play clean up after those guys that are still on the first box of ammo they bought with their rifle 12 yrs ago. I can remember 3 occasions off the top of my head where I had to finish deer for others . Not a deer suffering on the ground , about to die. Deer that would most likely never have been found if they had not happened to run my way . 2 gut shot, one with his lower jaw gone . I've helped a few hunters get a little better on track with their on game performance. Alot of folks just dont care enough about it to want to improve. I dont think it's quite as bad around here as it use to be, but then again I'm a lot more reclusive these days, so it might be that lm just not around it.

Wild Rose,
Your story of "That Guy" reminded me of a sight-in day back in the '90s in Pennsylvania. "That Guy" was in his late 20s/early 30s and was trying to sight in a bolt action 30-06 Savage with about 4 different brands of ammo.

I made sure my target was 2 targets left of his B/c I didn't want any stray shots on mine.
Sure enough when we walked 100 yards down to the targets he walks up to mine and proudly says "Boy, that rifle of mine shoots!". I gently pointed out to him it was my target and pointed to his target with shots scattered everywhere but the 10 ring - or the 5 ring! He was really ****ed at me but knew I was right. I was shooting a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt with a BOSS brake and handholds and getting three different sub MOA groups on the corners of my target. Because he was so mad I didn't bother trying to tell him that each box of his ammo would group differently because the fool couldn't even shoot a group.

Eric B.

Is this like, "Those who can do and those who can't teach,".
Easy now...I teach but can still do!
At least the shooting part.:D I'm not going to try and out run some of these 20 year olds I get in my course. Just goes into knowing your limits.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.