The “It’s just a hunting rifle” Saying Bugs Me

I find my threshold changes depending on how much shooting that I am doing and the area being hunted. If I am using my 300 WSM Rem 700 for moose I expect 1moa groups but deer hunting with my 308 Win Rem 700 I am happy with 2 moa because of the terrain and bush I hunt.
I am not always the same mentally on the bench so I factor in all the condition on the day.

If that's all I could own was "just a hunting rifle" I'd take it 8 days a week and never look back, some of the best times of my life spent with friends and family packing that rifle around to various locations, besides its the "hunter" that controls what he pulls the trigger on, blaming a rifle for a bad shot is like blaming the hammer when the house falls down after a stiff breeze

I normally do not weigh in on these discussions more than just once, but since I have more than one thought or angle to voice, I thought I would try to refine what I said prior.

First, "Just a hunting rifle". that to some people is a really horrible thing to say. Most all of us take pride in having a trusted hunting tool, no matter what caliber, what scope, what complete rig we have. Mine has evolved from a Savage 110B in 270 with a simmons 2-7 scope into a more diverse collection of rifles with one specific trait. they are accurate. whether it is a Winchester, Tikka, Remington, Marlin or Sako. My guns might not look good, they have scars, marks that tell you this gun has not had a Safe Queen life. they have been out in the field and they are trusted. the scopes have scars from being in cases, strapped to my back, my backpack, hung on a branch while scouting, in my lap while scouting, a few of the stocks have dents and dings from loosing my footing while hiking in, hiking out, stalking, these tools retain a certain look. My father kept his rifles pristine. he only bought pristine. that was his measure of a rifle. mine has always been what do those scars, that lost bluing, that scratch, that dent, what do these imperfections say about the gun? what story could this gun tell? imperfect, small scars, small dents, bluing worn from being held a lot; these are the tell tales signs of a trusted field tool for hunting. I have never been let down. each of these rifles I have collected used, the small imperfections have told me this rifle was trusted. after shooting them, they had accuracy. one surprised me and held a 1/2" group with my "junk" ammo. I do not judge people with well worn guns as "lessor hunting tools". these tools have limitations, the owners know them, and they use them to the best of their abilities and to the best of the ability of the rifle.

the second point is that these rifles are handed down, they get multi-generational respect from the people whom use them. they are taken care of by the people in the family that are entrusted with the family's legacy firearm. Nowhere is that more evident that the Atlantic North East. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and the surrounding states. I spent several hunting seasons there with friends. I even considered moving my Gunsmithing shop there. I would arrive a couple of weeks before the opening, scout in the mornings and evening, in the middle of the day I would make nice with the locals. I would do hunting season tune-ups on rifles that were in some cases over 110 years-old. Winchester levers, Marlin Levers, and Savage levers. these guys would treasure, cherish, and use great-great-great grandad's lever gun to hunt. they would sometimes have to take extra game to keep from starving. I inevitably would get to see, snapshots of Bear, Deer, Moose, Elk, and other harvested animals. My question you all is this, "What happened to US, the hunting community?" we were just like this enclave of hunters in the NorthEast, what have we become in the west? I have seen so many arrogant hunters in my home state *pointing west from Carson City NV* I have almost been killed by hunters not identifying their game, shooting at a wiggling branch, shooting at a breaking stick, shooting at way too far for the heavily forested SierraNevada mountains. I hope it has gotten better since 2001. I am not complaining, I am very concerned for our sport and our way of life. I see it as endangered by idiots, politicians, and anti-hunters. Just a hunting rifle, Just our deep rich tradition of hunting and self sustaining lifestyle, just our American identity, just our fading traditions, just our hunting rifle. our treasured hunting tool. The symbol of us and our traditions.
yes, it is a hunting rifle, but it is not "just" a hunting rifle. it has become our trusted friend in the field.
I do not know how many will read this but I hope, I truly hope that we, as hunters, will never judge a man with a well worn, trusted rifle as "Just a hunting rifle". I hope no hunter has to hear those words from anyone that does not understand, but they will. It is up to each of US to explain the hunt, the tradition, and this handed down rifle as part of our national identity and hopefully part of our national pride.

I feel a deep duty to any animal I shoot to make my best shot with equipment I feel 100% confident in . I never settle for its " just a hunting rifle ". Every rifle I own has been worked over by yours truly to shoot to my standard 1 moa. All my rifles shoot much better than that too. For me, that's at least half the fun of big game hunting, that is , tuning equipment to shoot its absolute best. I guess I'm saying I dont and wont own any " only rifles ". My squirrel rifle has shot .2s at 100 yards ! Lol.

Tell me about that squirrel rifle? .36 cal black powder? :)

As to what makes a hunting rifle 'good enough' - let's not confuse shooting groups with game. Yes, sometimes follow up shots are needed and matter. Often times the first shot from a cold bore matters most, and if the shooter does their part, the job is done. I like many here appreciate accuracy, had a Ruger #1 that shot a sub half-inch group....at 330 yds, Kepplinger set trigger and 4-16 4200 scope...shot my longest deer kill, LRF 400 yds. The accuracy was a confidence booster, it took many animals...6mmBR. 105 Amax at 2850. In the end, you either hit your game...in vitals, or not. Often times a given rifle will do pretty well on that first shot cold accuracy, and so what if it groups poorly....if it shoots that first shot close to POA....and you make that shot count. Just a thought to consider.

Tell me about that squirrel rifle? .36 cal black powder? :)

As to what makes a hunting rifle 'good enough' - let's not confuse shooting groups with game. Yes, sometimes follow up shots are needed and matter. Often times the first shot from a cold bore matters most, and if the shooter does their part, the job is done. I like many here appreciate accuracy, had a Ruger #1 that shot a sub half-inch group....at 330 yds, Kepplinger set trigger and 4-16 4200 scope...shot my longest deer kill, LRF 400 yds. The accuracy was a confidence booster, it took many animals...6mmBR. 105 Amax at 2850. In the end, you either hit your game...in vitals, or not. Often times a given rifle will do pretty well on that first shot cold accuracy, and so what if it groups poorly....if it shoots that first shot close to POA....and you make that shot count. Just a thought to consider.
Ruger 77/17, volquartsen SS barrel, sleeved and shimmed bolt, pillar/glass bedded paddle stock, 6-24 bushnell 30, trigger resprung and stop installed, cci A17 ammo. Best 5 shot group at 100 was .247, but averages in the .6 - .7 range. Ammo is the big wildcard with the 17hmr. I unfortunately wasn't able to get my hands on a supply of that .2 ammo lot number.

Last edited:
I believe "Just a Hunting Rifle" has different meanings for different people. There are a lot of hunters who shoot off a rest at a deer at 50, 100, 150 or 200 yards, a 1 or 2 MOA rifle should be enough, if it ain't then the person pulling the trigger is the problem and not the rifle. ;)

For me shooting at a Coues deer at up to 600m under the right conditions 1 MOA is barely enough. The kill zone in these deer is 8" tops and its always windy where we hunt, at least 15 mph so there is little room for error.

I set up my rifles for Half MOA or better and my rifles have no more than $1k in to them including the rifle itself.

You don't need thousands of dollars invested to have a good hunting rifle, especially if it leaves you with no $ for the ammo to practice, I've seen this a lot and just dont get it.

Now if you are shooting at an animal at 1,200 yds then yeah I get the $4K spent on a rifle, and if they have that much to spend then so be it, their decision to make.

I believe some say just a hunting rifle when comparing to their precision rifle which is provably worth way more, I know I've done it.

In the end all I can control is what I shoot, what I shoot at and how far I want to shot it, so I've learned to respect what others say and do and let them be, I know Karma has everyone's address so I'll let her sort things our Lol

Most of my long time hunting buddies think I'm either nuts or give me the "deer in the headlights look" when we discuss guns and accuracy potential in each of their rifles.
Yet, I enjoy it and just learn to accept their beat up, under-scoped "crow bars" they toss into the truck. To them, it's just a hunting gun.

Ditto my Grendel must be your rifles BFF cuz it hasn't missed anything. Prairie Dogs, Coyotes, Fox, Bobcat, Raccoons, Skunks, Jackrabbits, Ground Squirrels, Deer and Hogs DRT

Depending on what kind of hunting you do. Many would rather a guy shoot a deer at 100 yards with a 5 moa rifle than a guy shooting 500 yards with a .5 moa rifle. To each his own. Understand your equipment and it's limitations. Don't stretch it. You don't need a .5" gun to hunt. Now with that said, don't be the guy that's got the 2" gun trying to shoot 700 yards with a bore sighted scope.

My rifle may be "only" a hunting rifle but it cost me $1,800. and the scope cost $960. with another nearly $100. for Talley scope rings
So I spent "only" $2,860. for "only" a hunting rifle.

Eric B.

Ditto my Grendel must be your rifles BFF cuz it hasn't missed anything. Prairie Dogs, Coyotes, Fox, Bobcat, Raccoons, Skunks, Jackrabbits, Ground Squirrels, Deer and Hogs DRT

Prairie dogs? A gun that's never missed a prairie dog hasn't shot at many of them or it's shooter needs glasses. ;)

Last edited:
My rifle may be "only" a hunting rifle but it cost me $1,800. and the scope cost $960. with another nearly $100. for Talley scope rings
So I spent "only" $2,860. for "only" a hunting rifle.

Eric B.

Funny I was thinking something similar earlier. I have several high end customs that I admittedly bought dirt cheap because the owners were in a bind and needed money but just one of my "average rifles", Gen 2 Milspec Rem 700, rail, rings, and VXL scope adds up to about 2,500.00 even with a used scope and buying the rifle on sale.

Dirt cheap custom .375 Ruger because the guy fired one shot out of it and decided he couldn't tolerate the recoil, Mod 70 custom, McMillian ultra light stock, Rail, 3-18x50 Illuminated VX6, rail, rings, about 4,000.00.

Ruger 77 FTW long range model, on sale for 1,100.00, VX6-3-18x50 Illum, upwards of 2,400.00.

Yes, they're all "Just hunting rifles" but if they won't shoot sub MOA either I need to work up a better load or I'm not doing my part.

We're not the average for the sport however. The average is a guy who buys a 400.00 to 750.00 rifle and either keeps the scope and rings that came with that "combo deal", or sticks a 2.5-8x40 old used cheap scope on it or maybe buys a bottom end 3-9x40.

If he can get 3 out of 5 on a 6" pie plate at a hunter he thinks he's got a real shooter that'll "kill'm dead".

Of course that guy will probably never fire a shot over 100yds and may well kill everything he shoots at so he thinks he's the reincarnation of Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett.

I don't want to be "that guy" but as long as he's not leaving wounded game to suffer and die with his poor shooting and not exceeding his and his rifle's capabilities it's not for me to judge.

When I run into those guys at the range I'll just ignore them if they come off as blowhards or try to help them, maybe even let them take a few shots with one of mine hoping to get them to see that they are capable of much more.

Like it or not we're all ambassadors for our sport and any organizations we belong to so we might as well be good ambassadors and do what we can to "up the game" of the others we run into along the way.

In the 70's me and my hunting buddies could put 3 rounds onto a typical pie plate. Any where on the pie plate, at 100 yards. We were ready to hunt!
Cracks me up today as that should be a chance to take up slingshots at at 100. This is truly the golden age of rifles and components that under an inch is considered "close, but no cigar". It's way more fun to put together a bone stock rifle and good factory ammo and a decent scope and downsize that plate to a 1" bull and put the all of them in there tightly packed. We strive for way more and the products are there for the asking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts