Got Some Work To Do. Experience with Federal Terminal Ascent?

I can't speak to 300 win factory ammo,but I started with 2 boxes of factory 7mm Rem.
Then was able to purchase 100 rounds of 155 TA's to reload.
After several steps I arrive at 67.5gr of RL26 group size .5 avg.FPS 3100
The factory rounds were running about 100FPS slower and group 1".
Plenty good for hunting.
Thats out of a Husqvarna 8000 crown grade.
High Tech Specialty composite stock.(free float barrel)
Swarovski Z5 3X18X44
Control rings&bases
Yeah. 1" is about the average I'm seeing with the factory loaded. However, I did strip the barrel completely down and I'm going to try it again since I have 3 more boxes of it and have nothing to lose. Once I find some powder I think I'm going to try the Berger Elite Hunter 195gr pills with h1000, and some non match federal 215 primers.

I'm wondering how the nickel alloy coating is going to play on a bare bore. I'm might shoot some regular rounds through it first to get a good copper fouling layer

Good to know. I've heard a lot of companies are scams anymore. Midwest Reloads is one that everyone says is a scam.
MidSouth has been around a long time. Bought stuff from them back in the spring. I dealt with them when they were a catalog company If I remember correctly. Not huge but reliable. They also have a good rating on ammo seek. Ammo seek does a pretty good job at weeding out scammers but they are everywhere these day for sure.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking my rifle might not like the ammo either. However, I can't find any other match grade hunting rounds that aren't $100 a box. Federal has the 200 ELD-X but I think it's the same powder, primer, and case as the terminal ascent so I don't think it will shoot any better.
I realize you are shooting factory ammo but…..

I shot those Terminal Ascent in several calibers and cartridges and am an experienced reloader. I could never get them to group and always had a flyer. About 1-1.5" groups were the best I could do. The same loads in ELD-m/x bullets resulted in good groupings. I wouldn't write off those other rounds by Federal.

I will say, that the Terminal Ascent did work well on game but I limited the shots to 300yds. Good for elk and deer.

Good luck!

Might try the Hornady 200eldx stuff, my 300 shoots those very well.

I was hoping that Federal would get their **** together and have the 200grainer available by now but I have given up on that dream.

I have an .06 that really likes the original 175grain terminal ascent (tlr)

Gary

I realize you are shooting factory ammo but…..

I shot those Terminal Ascent in several calibers and cartridges and am an experienced reloader. I could never get them to group and always had a flyer. About 1-1.5" groups were the best I could do. The same loads in ELD-m/x bullets resulted in good groupings. I wouldn't write off those other rounds by Federal.

I will say, that the Terminal Ascent did work well on game but I limited the shots to 300yds. Good for elk and deer.

Good luck!
Good to know. I'm going through the rifle and double checking everything but my money is still on the ammo because I haven't found anything yet. I thought about trying the federal 200gr ELDX, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a box yet

Might try the Hornady 200eldx stuff, my 300 shoots those very well.

I was hoping that Federal would get their **** together and have the 200grainer available by now but I have given up on that dream.

I have an .06 that really likes the original 175grain terminal ascent (tlr)

Gary
When I bought the terminal ascents the Federal 200gr ELDX's where in stock but I didn't buy them because I've always had bad experiences with Hornady stuff but now that I want to try them they are out of stock from where I get them.

Last edited:
When I bought the terminal ascents the Federal 200gr ELDX's where in stock but I didn't buy them because I've always had bad experiences with Hornady stuff but now that I want to try them they are out of stock from where I get them.

I am actually referring to the "Precision Hunter" ammo from Hornady with the 200 eldx

I bought 5 boxes mainly for the brass back when brass was hard to get! As it turns out they shoot sub MOA in my TC Encore