up slowly to reach my guns potential i want to set it up

right the first time which is where u guys come in :).My

first plan will be to check out the trigger and evaluate

that.Hoping after that that the gun will shoot good.I will

need to get windmeter,pocket pc and

software,rangefinder etc so trying to keep performance

up and cost down.Lost all my firearms in a divorce so

now trying to rebuild.

1.With a trigger job if needed will the gun be able to perform out to 1000 yds on game(gun has new x mark pro trigger havent shot it so not sure what new trigger is like)?

2.What kind of base and rings should i get?0 moa or 20 moa?High med low rings?(50-1000 YDS)

3.Are target style turrents a good choice for a hunting rifle or do they get knocked around?

4. Want to spend around 700 for a scope what is the best scope for money that i wont have to replace and has solid tracking and is on the same level as the gun?

5.What power scope 4-16x?(i like variable in case close shot comes up)

6.I have always used the basic duplex style recticle so if your starting out fresh in longrange hunting what is the best style of recticle to learn to use? Mil dot, RAPID Z, BALLISTIC PLEX?

7.Just starting out in longrangeshooting is it best to learn to click or use holdover with recticle?

8.Havent shot gun but pretty sure it has a 1 in 10 twist on barrel?Would reloading barnes 180 gr TSX be a good choice as i generally like to find one good bullet and load that i know exaclty what to expect and use it for everything?

I have read all the post on this board and am very thankful for all the knowledge.Sorry to ask so many questions but wanted to get some personalized answers to my questions for my particular weapon and needs.

Options

Hi this is what I would do.

First have the rifle bedded trigger adjusted and a realy good baffel type muzzle break fitted. Then fit a 20moa base and look at a scope with a ranging type reticle off your choice look for a seccond hand as new scope to get more value for your money. I would look at a 6-24 power scope or one similar.

As for projectiles forget Barnes X bulets the BC's are no good for long range work. My preference would be first the 240gr matchKings and the 220gr MatchKings but if you are wanting a bonded bullet the 200gr Accubond is worth a go. As for the powder it is hard to go past Retumbo as it was developed here in Australia they went through 8 barrels in testing and getting it right.

Then get the other tools you require and practice.

Cheers Bill
Australia

1.With a trigger job if needed will the gun be able to perform out to 1000 yds on game(gun has new x mark pro trigger havent shot it so not sure what new trigger is like)?

Don't have a clue. You should dry fire the rifle and see for yourself if it needs work on the trigger. The total accuracy of any given rilfe is always at question until you start feeding it bullets

2.What kind of base and rings should i get?0 moa or 20 moa?High med low rings?(50-1000 YDS)

Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts are good. Then you do not need a canted base. Lots of people like the Weaver or Picitinny bases and hate the old rear windage bases but I am not one of them. I use both and like both

3.Are target style turrents a good choice for a hunting rifle or do they get knocked around?

Depends on your distance goals. Also depends on whether you wish to use a BDC, mildot, or click it method. It is your choice. Also depends on how clumsy you are with your rifles. I fell on top of my Nightforce and banged it up pretty bad but I do not consider it a problem with the scope but rather just me being an idiot and stepping onto a wet slick log

4. Want to spend around 700 for a scope what is the best scope for money that i wont have to replace and has solid tracking and is on the same level as the gun?

A Luepold V3 6.5-20X 50 mm Longrange with Duplex would be close to the price you quote and meet most needs unless you are a seriuos short range hunter who just wants some long range capability then you should drop down some so you have a better lower power magnification.

5.What power scope 4-16x?(i like variable in case close shot comes up)

Only you can answer as to your hunting style and the needs for short range low power magnification. Where are you willing to give up a shot - at short range or at long range. Its your choice.

6.I have always used the basic duplex style recticle so if your starting out fresh in longrange hunting what is the best style of recticle to learn to use? Mil dot, RAPID Z, BALLISTIC PLEX?

My recommendation is to go with a basic duplex and learn to dial up (click) for your shots

7.Just starting out in longrangeshooting is it best to learn to click or use holdover with recticle?

Your choice. I think that clicking is easier but then I am senile and can't really remember much

8.Havent shot gun but pretty sure it has a 1 in 10 twist on barrel?Would reloading barnes 180 gr TSX be a good choice as i generally like to find one good bullet and load that i know exaclty what to expect and use it for everything?

The rifle will decide what bullet it likes. Your job is to provide it what it likes and to get a big animal in the crosshairs

Trigger: Some people love it, some people not so much... I'd at least have a smith lighten the pull on it

Scope + Recticle: I think with your price range Buffalobob made a great suggestion, I'd suggest the thin duplex though for recticle... You can also send the scope into Leupold and they can put on custom turrets to make clicking easier.

I think you should learn to click first and not worry about the custom recticles.. Even if you get into them I don't know how much you'll use them unless you have one setup for your guns ballistics

Bullets: Shoot what your gun likes, I personally use TSX's, lots won't use them due to the lower .BC (which mostly helps against wind drift). Shoot what your gun shoots the best, that's my suggestion

Buffalo Bob - as usual - is right on with his suggestions. From the time I spent working with a .300 RUM, highly recommend Retumbo and 200 gr Nosler Accubonds, or 200 gr Sierra Gameking bullets. The Accubonds are likely better hunting bullets, but for learning the rifle the 200 gr Gamekings are fine - they shoot well.

Expect some serious performance from the cartridge - I saw 3200 fps with 200 grain bullets and a mere 26" barrel. Very impressive.

Agree with getting the scope with knobs - a 4.5-14 Leupold or 6.5-20x Leupold is good. Be sure to look at the elevation adjustment range of the scope, to make sure you can get enough adjustment for the long-range shooting you've got in mind.

Take a look at the 20 MOA base and seriously nice rings made by Glen Seekins, Seekins Precision, in Idaho: Welcome to Seekins Precision

Might even want to call Glen and see if he thinks you need the 20 MOA base or not - might not given the flat trajectory you'll have with that big RUM.

Best of luck - it's a great cartridge and your rifle will likely be quite a performer. Start saving for a new barrel now.

Guy

Thanks for the replies still waiting the 10 day waiting period in california so guns not home yet.Just wanted to get a game plan going.I appreciate all the help

Good job on the rifle choice.
As for your scope, I have a 5.5-16.5 and like it, however, I just missed a deer running at 75 yards partly because I was having a hard time finding it in the scope. I usually don't have a problem with target accusition but I did this time. I wouldn't reccomend anything bigger than this if you want to shoot close range as well. My 16.5 power is plenty big for 600-700 (my personal limit at this point for big game) and I don't see a problem with 16 power at 1000 either. Also, if you stick with the 4-16 you will easily find a scope with closer to 60 MOA adjustment making it easy on your scope to adjust from 100 yard sight in to 1000 yard sight in.
Just my .02

i been shooting my 300 rum LSS at angeles shooting range out to 700 yards i had bolsa gunsmithing put a brake on it . i would look at the 200 gr. accubonds or the smk's im dropping a night force on it after the first of the year 5.5 x 22 x . were do you live in ca. im from orange county

JIM

That sounds just like the 300 RUM I shoot. Get a reloading press and reload all your ammunition, or you cant afford to shoot it. I reload mine and shoot to 1000 yds alot. I keep 300 rounds loaded ready to go just to satisfy my trigger finger. I have the sendero and had a muzzle brake, trigger job, and also use a slip on limbsaver pad and can shoot it all day with no discomfort. I take it every where and impress everybody with it. You will enjoy it so much, or I do anyway. I can shoot round after round and cover all them with a quarter at 100 yds all day long, its a great rifle. I load 180 gr accubonds with h1000 powder and they are going 3180 fps and that is a light load, I use a ballistic reticle and that is what matches my scope. I am on some cases being loaded over 5 times and they and holding up great

Last edited:
long range rig

my brother and several friend have 300 rum they all shoot re-25 and 180 accubond. we all have a vais brake. once you find a good load i think a kenton knob works better than counting clicks for hunting. for target counting click is fine. with burris rings and the offsets you could probably get away with only 10 moa. the 300 rum is flat. i would get a leupold scope.

Kenton Nob?

my brother and several friend have 300 rum they all shoot re-25 and 180 accubond. we all have a vais brake. once you find a good load i think a kenton knob works better than counting clicks for hunting. for target counting click is fine. with burris rings and the offsets you could probably get away with only 10 moa. the 300 rum is flat. i would get a leupold scope.

Kenton knob? Please elaborate on what this does for you?

It looks like you are off to a great start. You will find as you shoot more that you will want a lighter trigger pull. 3lbs used to be the norm for a light trigger pull, now most folks I know, myself included, like a much lighter one for long range work.

You can find good deal on a scope online. In fact just saw a Zeiss 6-20x50 with target knobs Demo models at: Zeiss - Camera Land NY for $625-$679 depending on the reticle.
That is an awesome scope at a great price. You will need a 20moa base for it.
They normally sell for $900+

As far as bullets go the 210 Berger VLD's are awesome. They will provide you with great ballistics with the 300RUM. A buddy of mine dropped an elk with one at 715yds. They work!

long range rig

i forgot to add . use muffs and puffs when shooting the ruminator. it is quite load . the 300 win only takes 71 grain of powder. the 300 RUM 96.

i been shooting my 300 rum LSS at angeles shooting range out to 700 yards i had bolsa gunsmithing put a brake on it . i would look at the 200 gr. accubonds or the smk's im dropping a night force on it after the first of the year 5.5 x 22 x . were do you live in ca. im from orange county

JIM

Jim, what brake did you go with? I literally just got back from Bolsa dropping my 300 RUM send. sfII off and they recommended to me that I use a Shrewd Varmint muzzle brake over the Holland QD. I told them I would let them know tomorrow which I one I want as well as what I want to do for trigger work. Speaking of which, did you get any trigger work done?

I am in Corona, where is it you're shooting? Lyttle creek?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.