Got lucky ..

ol mike

I ordered some new gear and somehow between dealing w/ two different people on the order ended up w/ two backpacks instead of one.I wanted an osprey exposure 50 -did some research and liked what i read -then was told they were out -so went w/ an arc'teryx bora 50.
The order conformation didn't come via email like it was suppose to ,so the package arrived via UPS and there are two packs.So i got to try them here in the house -big difference -the osprey was way more comfortable to ''me'' ,and the arc'teryx gave me the feeling of trying to pull me over backwards [hate that].
The arc'teryx bora 50 is well built and w/ that well built comes extra weight ,the osprey fits my plan of very lightweight but high quality.
At apprx. 35lbs. -packed- it felt heavy to lift -but the weight was gone when i put the pack on -it laid close to my back and just put a smile on my face.

Backpacks are like shoes -you really need to try them out on your back loaded -i would have never known how good the osprey fit me if not for the seemingly unlucky order -grin..

Got a western mountaineering mitylite bag coming -back ordered 3 weeks --going to use it as a bag/blanket w/ the hammocks i have coming.

I'm going to try a combination set-up w/ sleeping bags -i have a 45* summer bag and figure i can use it and the WM bag together and hopefully together i can call it a winter bag system.

Maybe i could get lucky and get a good kimber 84 montana ??----ME

Congrats on the Osprey pack, as they fit me also like no other. I am running an Osprey Aether 75 and Cresent 70. My hauler is an Dana Terraframe.

I also have Kifaru EMR, Granite Gear Status Latitude, North Face Perserverance, Kelty /Dana 3600, Camptrails external frame, and some others. The Osprey and Terraframe are the best packs for fit that I've ever come across bar none.

For bags I have an Integral Designs Arctic -40 custom bag, Marmot Helium, and Mountain Hardware Spectre 20.

Osprey, Integral Designs, and Western Mountaineering are some of my favorite products.

Ol Mike, we should hook up sometime this winter and so some outing. I am getting an Kifaru 12 man tipi with stove and that outa be a dandy comfortable winter rig.

Will do -i just hopped on here for a couple minute fix before work.

I see on another thread you have a TW 200 -i want one myself.
Talk to later..ME

Shortshooter ,

What part of idaho do you live in ?
I'm near boise ,but i'm back working at my old job for a few more months [florida] -> hate it.
Anyway that kifaru 12 man w/a stove is the stuff -i.e.-nez perce hilton -you could keep you -the family -tw 200 all toasty warm up in that wilderness mansion.

What *degree bag would you recommend for deep winter camping -i like the extreme lite series WM versalite bag ?
Trying to buy american or n.america anyway -but can't swing the price on some american made stuff and i'm a sucker for a great price -got the osprey exposure 50 for $132 ...

What type of hunting do you do ?
I like to predator call -but want to do some black bear and mule deer hunting -actually anything w/a rifle is great.
See ya -Mike

I'm up in N Idaho on the I-90 corridor.

I hunt with the TW and also backpack into destinations.

In the cold I like at least a -20 bag, that's because I lived in Montana for 6 years. It gets a bit cold around the Yellowstone areas.

Besides the bag a person needs a good Ex Ped insulated down pad and a cheap blue closed cell foam pad. This insulates you from the cold ground and keeps the core temp and bag quite toasty. Also sleeping on your side seems to help some folks as well. IMO the Ex Ped pad is just as important as a good bag.

There are lots of good bags these days. Western Moutaineering and ID, Featherd Friends are tops picks and don't forget others like Mountain Hardware, Big Agnes, and REI make some nice stuff as well. Just make certain it fits and is comfortable. A -20 is a lot of bag and in Idaho our temps are usually warmer than the central rockies.

I used to do a lot of backpacking and mountaineering in northern New Mexico and Colorado and went through several packs both internal and external frame. When I settled on an Osprey it was like someone lightened every load I carried by 15 pounds. They are definitely top notch, mine has probably 2000 rough miles on it and is as good as new.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts