Got deer and elk tags for NV Jarbridge Wilderness

Litehiker

Today the postman made me very happy when he delivered two hunting tags for Nevada's "early" season Oct. 2 -20.

I got an anterless elk tag (cow or calf) and an antlered mule deer tag for the Jarbridge Wilderness area. That means NO **** quad vehicles ruining my hunt.

Last year if I had an antlered deer tag for this area (I had cow elk only) I could have had a very nice buck mulie the second day of the hunt at almost exactly 200 meters by my LRF binoculars. And another on the 4th day and yet another at 20 yds. on the 6th day if I had missed the first two.

So now to get myself in even better shape for another backpack into that area. It's been over 105 F. here in 'Vegas for a week so I have been working out 3 days a week with a 30 lb. pack and heavy boots on our treadmill at max incline. Now I'll begin doing 5 days a week with ankle weights added in gradual weight increments. In September I'll be making at least two trips a week into our nearby Spring Mountains to condition at 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft. to get acclimatized to altitude. Jarbridge average altitudes are around 8,500 ft. God, that's beautiful country! - and "breathtaking".

So instead of taking my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt I'll likely take my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator with a new SWFA 5 -15 X 42 scope. I'll use Hornady 140 gr. ELD-X bullets, maybe factory or maybe handholds. the 140 gr. 6.5 CM has nearly the same trajectory as a 180 gr. .300 Win mag. For cow or especially calf elk that should be plenty. (Here's hoping for a nice, tender, easy-to-pack-out calf.;o)

PACK-> Osprey EXOS 58 (Yeah, very light but also very strong.)

TENT-> Tarptent Moment DW

SLEEP SYSTEM-> Western Mountaineering Megalite - overstuffed at factory to approx. 20 F., Thermarest Prolite pad

COOK KIT-> Caldera Cone Sidewinder ti stove and ESBIT fuel tabs W/BGET tab holder

CLOTHES-> synthetic pants & shirt (.511 brand) and base layer, GTX Paclite parka & pants, Merrill GTX Mid boots, poly long johns for bed, wool/synthetic sox, down jacket. NO spare clothes.

BUTCHER KIT-> disposable blade knife, long nitrile gloves, trash compactor bags for carrying out quarters.

ELECTRONICS-> Garmin Colorado GPS (plus Silva compass & topo map), SPOT locator/rescue beacon, small Princeton Tech headlamp, Olympus TG 4 sport camera

Hopefully I'll connect with something in the ten days I'll plan to hunt. And very hopefully maybe TWO "somethings".gun)

Eric B.

Thanks guys. I'll be going solo since my neighbor couldn't get tags for the same time due to work schedule. And I will include photos, whether or not I connect with a deer or elk. So at least you can see my camp and the beautiful scenery.

I'll also be taking GTX gloves and GTX knee-high gaiters in case it looks like snow. I may keep some MSR Lightning snowshoes in the car "just in case". I always use hiking poles and I'll take snow baskets too.

My plan is to hike in 2 days before the season opens to be in place when the opening day hunters drive the game to me. I'm old and treacherous, using the young and innocent vigor of first day hunters to help me. :D

I hate to haul them but I'm taking my Bushnell 1 Mile ARC rangefinder 10X binoculars for glassing and range finding. They also have a built-in ballistics calculator to give me hold-over in mils B/C my scope is mil/mil, turrets and reticle.

Eric B.

..My plan is to hike in 2 days before the season opens tobe in place when the opening day hunters drive the game to me. I'm old and treacherous, using the young and innocent vigor of first day hunters to help me......:D

It's a shame by the time one has enough points to draw some of these tags, you have to resort to treachery! Might not be as much innocent vigor first day as you hope!

Congratulations, only seen the Jarbridge on maps, and a couple of drive by's how far you going in.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.