Wilderness Pack Specialties Quality/Features

nksmfamjp

I've been looking at their website and am pretty impressed with their stuff. I'm basically looking for a daypack meat hauler so I can go further off road in a day hunt and maybe enough room 3000 ci for a fairly light overnight bag.

These look like a good option, but how is their weight, bag stability, quality, usability of pockets, attach methods, etc?

fwiw - WPS makes the Yukon plastic frame system used in the Outdoorsmans pack systems, and also the Kodiak plastic frame used in some military packs.

fwiw - i bought a military pack system on Ebay - with the Kodiak plastic frame and the suspension and the pack bag (for about $60, if you're a patient and diligent shopper) -- and then I bought the Wilderness Pack Specialties meat hauler (about $25) to attach to the frame system for a dedicated meat hauler. Works great for me, especially for training by loading weights in the meat hauler. I'm not trying to take business away from WPS, just letting you know that their Kodiak pack frames are widely used in the military. (fyi - the military packbags that are available are heavy (Cordura), and not designed for hunting.)

fwiw - the WPS Kodiak frame works for me, but i'm short, i.e., 5'6". I expect that the shoulder stabilizer straps probably won't be very effective for taller people. (see, for example, see the load extenders on Mystery Ranch packs so that the shoulder stabilizer straps actually pull the whole load closer, instead of just the tops of the shoulder straps).

I also have an Outdoorsman pack (extended version of Optics packbag), with the Yukon plastic frame. It is a great pack. very easy to adjust, carries weight comfortably, good pocket systems for hunting, in my opinion. It is my overall favorite hunting pack (i also have a Kuiu Ultra that i use for backpack hunting, lighter weight but less comfortable and durable; Eberlestock JustOne; Cabelas Outfitter frame packs, etc.)

GLWYS.

What is the relationship between the WPS packs and Outdoorsmans packs...they seem somewhat related...maybe share a military contract?? WPS seems to have a better design for compression and pocket flexibility.

I do not have any definitive info, but it appears that WPS manufactures pack frames for themselves, for the military, and as an OEM supplier for Outdoorsmans.

The Ibex on the Yukon frame looks great....anybody using one or both of these? Opinions?

Kind of wished they were covered with molle vs the daisy chain pattern.

FWIW, I called Outdoorsmans....WPS supplies their packs.

If you want the best take a look at Kifaru or Stone Glacier. You'll only have to buy one of these packs in your lifetime. I use a Kifaru with 6,000 cu in bag for both scouting and hunting. The frame is so comfortable I hardly know it's on my back with loads under around 30 lbs. I've had similar 30 lb loads in a 2,000 to 3,000 cu in pack and my shoulders, neck, and back were sore at the end of 1 hard day in the field!

It is super nice to have a frame capable of 100+ lbs that is super comfortable! My bag is 6,000 cu in and when not loaded I merely cinch it down tight to the frame. The materials they use in the new frames and bags are so light and durable that the larger bag really doesn't weigh much.

Kifaru or SG are both expensive. I bought mine off Rokslide's classified section for 1/2 price and it was almost new! To me it's definitely worth the investment for a pack that is so comfortable and will last a lifetime!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.