Got a quick brass question

CRNA

Ok, so I bought two packs of Win. brass for a total of 100 pieces. Would you guys find it necessary to keep these two "lots" of brass separated? Or will I be just fine with throwing them all in the tumbler and mixing them up when the time comes? Just curious if it would matter. Thanks for the replies.

IMO, no. What I do with 100 pieces new brass is:

1) full length resize (wipe off lube)
2) trim
3) debur flashole
4) chamfer case mouth outside/inside
5) uniform primer pocket
6) tumble

Then I weigh each case and I sort them into lots. With Win or Rem brass I usually am happy to get 50 out of 100 that are + or - 1grain. This insures fairly uniform inside volume. I call this my "prime lot". The other 50 I call my "load lot". Out of the load lot 50 there always seems to be 5-10 cases that are the same + or - 1 grain weight as the "prime lot". These I use to develop my load for that rifle. Once I find what the rifle likes I load up the prime lot and make the firing line hot ! Hope this helps

Steve, if you check the lot number on the bags you can tell if they are from the same production run. If so, you can surely use them the same way.

If they are NOT the same lot, do it the way it was suggested and there won't be much difference even if the lots are different. IMHO.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.