Got a Problem

Jeff Ovington

Went to the range today to shoot in my Husky 30-06..
I have this gun zeroed in at 200yrds with 165gr. Nosler Ballistc Tips.
But today something very perplexing happened..
My bullet impacts were hitting vertical in a vertical string,but directily in the middle of the target and all in line with one another...
The holes were perfect circle no evidence of tumbling..
The funny thing was, on time the bullet would hit at my exact point of aim, the next a foot high or low, there was no consistancy..
One shot was 37 inches below my point of aim the next shot was exactly were I was aiming, the third 12 inches low...
My gun is glass bedded and (there is no pressure point I'm aware of)all my screws (rings bases )are lock tighted
What would cause this, its never happened to me before..
Is this evidence of a pressure point somewhere between the stock and barrel or is this evidence of something else like maybe a gas leak...

I'm no expert but if the kids hung a tire swing from the barrel of your gun, it wouldn't move 37 inches at 200 yards. I would look at the scope and mounts first. Take the old one off and check all the screws. If that looks good swap it for a different scope and see what happens.

I found Blackco on the map and he's from up where they know what they're talkin' about so I'd go with what he said.

Isn't it something like .001" @ 100 yds = about 1" so at 200 it'd be about 0.0185" movement at the rifle for 37" of bullet movement? Should be able to "feel" that or maybe 'hear' it if it's in the scope.

Keep us posted, ok?

Jeff, had that happen once while sighting in a friend's rifle. Luckily he was looking over my shoulder and saw the whole thing. I'll never forget that first look he gave me though, "Crap, I can shoot better than that!"
Plus, I had just loaded him about 100 rounds for deer season (.30-06). I put one of my known good Leupold's on it and whala, same hole almost. Sounds like erector system has gone out in the scope. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.