Got a new rifle, sending it back to the factory

Rule violation.....just ran into this kind of situation on another forum....some one got their feelings hurt, the whole post was pulled.....when the shooting forums get too politically correct, they will cease to be. I'm not advocating crude, cruel or nasty remarks....but my God, when did the bubble wrap get handed out? It's getting where you have to write a draft of what you want to post, have the grammar police and boo boo kitty squad check it before you post anything.....if you can't handle some constructive criticism, sign up for a knitting forum. I learn a lot from this forum, but let's not choke it to death...just my opinion....rsbhunter

Quite frustrating really.
I got the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore, AICS patern mag, mounted up and bore sighted the scope. Right off the bat, fail to feed. Every single round. Ok, no problem. I put 30 rounds through it at 25 and finally got something resembling a group. Moved to 100, and shotguned the target. 21 rounds later I gave up. I put 3 rounds of the same ammo through my axis and got a 1 inch group.

On later examination I find that as a round is stripped from the magazine it is nosing into the barrel steel right under the chamber. Every single round. I tried a new magpul mag and it did the same thing. So not a mag issue. So now it gets to go back to Ruger. I have never had to do that before.

I decided that I am going to give the 130 SGK hollow points a try as my reloaded round for both rifles.

Fun times.

I agree with others - that you have stated the problems - without bashing. Kudos. I know your frustration. But wanted to say directly to you that I appreciate your candor without malice. Not the easiest thing to do sometimes - but worth he effort to get the message heard vs stirring up animosity for a manufacturer. Nice job!

Quite frustrating really.
I got the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore, AICS patern mag, mounted up and bore sighted the scope. Right off the bat, fail to feed. Every single round. Ok, no problem. I put 30 rounds through it at 25 and finally got something resembling a group. Moved to 100, and shotguned the target. 21 rounds later I gave up. I put 3 rounds of the same ammo through my axis and got a 1 inch group.

On later examination I find that as a round is stripped from the magazine it is nosing into the barrel steel right under the chamber. Every single round. I tried a new magpul mag and it did the same thing. So not a mag issue. So now it gets to go back to Ruger. I have never had to do that before.

I decided that I am going to give the 130 SGK hollow points a try as my reloaded round for both rifles.

Fun times.
I have not tried the 6.5 yet. However, I have a Ruger Hawkeye .375 and it is shooting a 2" grouping at 200yds. I also have the Ruger 5.56 MPR and it iis shooting a 1" grouping at 200 yds. The .375 is on a lead sled. Tried it on the bipod just a couple of days ago and shot a 4" grouping at 100 yds. This thing kicks like a Missouri mule. After shooting 10 rounds my shoulder had enough and I called it quits for the day.

Really hope you get your problem solved. I'm pretty confident that Ruger will make it right. I have had very good relationship with them and their staff.

Whilst PC has gotten out of hand, I think the issue is libel, generally it's the owner of the site that gets sued not the individual.
So if Len wants to throw his toys out of the pram, it's his site, his call and his that's being protected.

Last edited by a moderator:
this has been addressed in the past, according to the site mods there are ways to "air your problems" properly-- an "informative" thread asking for help is usually better than just airing problems
I don't see the rule 7 violation. If the writer started knocking Ruger for not addressing the problem then maybe it would be a violation but I for one am glad he brought the problem to my attention. Ruger is a reputable company. I'm sure they will do that right thing and take care of this problem. Besides, it's forums such as this one that keeps big company's in line.
On a different note, I have the exact same rifle. Started shooting it last year and was very pleased with the out of the box performance for a low cost rifle that I won at a game dinner. After fine tuning it with Berger bullets I went to KS where I harvested a very respectable buck at 240 yards. It works for me!

Not being politically correct or choosing sides here, it usually isn't my way.

If I find an issue with an item I bought I will first make sure that I read the directions and that I am not stumbling.

If it is a manufacturing problem I will give them a ring. Quality Control inspection is much looser than reloading ELR rounds. Check the first 10 or 100 or the number worked up for beginning of run. Then check 5 random every hour, or thousand produced or ten thousand produced. Occasionally a non-correct will slip through. It is possible a piece of dust or chip got through and integrity failed.

Good manufacturers will talk to you, ask questions, ask you to measure something and direct you to return the product with a Return Authorization Number. They would want to keep the public from knowing they 'ever' let one slip out the door, and if one did they would want it resolved with speed and ensure that the customer has nothing but great things to say of them.

Now in the past my wife and I purchased a 22LR with a tube chute. We were traveling the desert and did not bring our guns. It was light and had a non-wood stock, kind of cute. Feeding and accuracy problems unless the exact right type of ammo was put through it. The companies answer, it is a cheap rifle, what do you expect. Never purchased one of their tools again, and face to face I will not talk good of them.

Be safe, have fun, and keep your stick on the ice

Honest information is always a good thing, whether positive or negative, especially when it is offered by a knowledgeable source. However, if you are condemning an entire brand on the basis of one product, or line of products, that is inappropriate. I do want to hear about the bad experiences just as I want to hear about the good. Both influence my future choices. As for the differences between plain talk and political correctness, it may look like a fine line but it isn't. It's about your intent. Are you contributing your experiences for the benefit of the us all or just venting bitterness over a disappointing purchase? Details are valuable, blanket statements aren't. We all know that major companies screw up. Over the years, if I stopped buying rifles from every major manufacturer where I found design or manufacturing flaws I wouldn't have anything left to hunt with. Rifles must meet strict tolerances, within thousandths of an inch, and sometimes they don't. Your deal with it and move on. I rely on this site for knowledge, and being civil about it isn't a sign of weakness. I think Len's rules just try to keep us focused on contributing valuable information to each other.

I cleaned every 3 rounds for the first 30 rounds, then every 6 for the remainder. I can work on the accuracy stuff. I was more concerned with the every round fail to feed issue. The young lady at Ruger customer service was very helpful. I will be taking the rifle back to Cabelas who already said they would help with shipping back and forth. I elected on my own to go that route due to my very unpredictable work schedule. I have high hopes that the feed problem is corrected and I can get down to solving the accuracy issues. I have a good idea what I had going on but I didn't want to begin corrective actions right before boxing it up for return. Thank you all for the input.

It is not WHAT you say...it IS HOW you say it that makes the difference....:D[/QUOTE]

That mindset is what makes things so frustrating. If you have a problem, you should state your problem. No one needs to go wading through soft language to decipher the speaker's meaning in order to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

Let me ask you this; did Japan ask about anyone's feelings before the attack on Pearl Harbor? And did we subsequently ask about their feelings when we obliterated two cities?

Wolves will stay on top only if they need to contend with sheep.

Don't be sheep.

I have noticed an insane double standard.
Someone writes 20 thousand pages description of their intentions to commit mass murder based on their delusional world view, and the media will ignore it, even refuse to use the self identifier claimed by the righter(so as to not legitimize their extremest views)
Yet they find a single face book post with an OK symbol , or a party picture from 30 years ago in an ethnic costume...well then they are quick to conclude an entire political views that needs public villary..
When did we become a country that ignored criminal acts and criminalized thoughts....?
Insanity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.