..got "The Beast" back together....

6.5x61Super

...after looking through one of my bud's Nightforce scopes 3 weeks ago...I JUST had to have one...

..got lucky here on Longrangehunting.com....found a used BR model for $900.

...I set this fine scope in a set of 30mm Burris Signature Rings with the +0.010" in the rear rings and -0.010" in the front rings...

..I just bore-sighted it on my neighbor's roof vent = 132 yards away.....I have a FULL 36MOA to play with...

I also added a US Optics level...and after seeing that the Pod-Loks were backordered EVERYWHERE...I found a link that you could by the lever lock for $10!!

anyways....here are the pics.....

beast1.jpg

beast2.jpg

beast4.jpg

beast5.jpg

beast6.jpg

beast9.jpg

Nice model-70, bitchen' wildcat supershort, and kick a.. job on the optics and mounting. Ill bet theres some critter in the woods that just cringed:D

Nice looking rig you have there "6.5WSSM". How does it shoot? I have a .243 WSSM Coyote that consistently shoots 5/8" outside to outside groups at 100 yds. with factory or reloads. Can't get it to group any better. How many rounds will the S/S barrel last? Browning told me that my barrel bore is chrome plated and should be good for 1,500 rounds before needing a new one.

joseph

Nice looking rig you have there "6.5WSSM". How does it shoot? I have a .243 WSSM Coyote that consistently shoots 5/8" outside to outside groups at 100 yds. with factory or reloads. Can't get it to group any better. How many rounds will the S/S barrel last? Browning told me that my barrel bore is chrome plated and should be good for 1,500 rounds before needing a new one.

joseph

so far....I have 226 rounds though the barrel...

The WSSM's got a lot of bad press..some justified.....and some not....

Problem #1 = brass is way too thick after shortening the WSM case to arrive at the WSSM case.

Solution #1 = neck turn to reduce 0.024" neck thickness down to 0.017" neck thickness.

Problem #2 = because of neck turning, you will need a bushing/bump die..get the appropriate neck size bushing.

I use 0.296"

0.017" + 0.017" + 0.264" [ 6.5mm bullet] = 0.298"

my custom reamer from PT&G has the chamber neck cut to 0.300"

so far I have some reloads that are on their 9th reloading.

A BIG benefit = because the brass is "thicker" than typical brass....the life expectancy is far greater..I talked to a fellow who had close to 25 reloads on his brass..

as far as barrel life.....I expect to get at least 2,000 rounds before I have to set it back...

BTW....44.6 gr. of RL-17 will push a 140 gr. Berger VLD @3,105 fps from my 30" Pac-Nor barrel at 80 deg. F and 1,000 ft. elevation!!!

.. this rifle will shoot in the "teens" at 100 yards.....my longest confirmed kill on an Ohio g'hog = 722 yards!!

Last edited:
Let me know how you like the BR model. I agonized for about 6 months on whether to go with BR or NSX as I really liked the BR model (I mainly shoot paper) but, in the end I went with the 12-42x56 NSX for the exposed turrets.

..no real issue unscrewing the turret covers....I, too was initially getting a NXS....the decision maker was money.

I got lucky and found this BR for $900.

One of my friends had a used NXS for $1,400....

....$500 will buy A LOT of bullets, powder, and primer!!

$500 will buy A LOT of bullets, powder, and primer!!

Your right about that, best of luck with it and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts