Got a new rifle, sending it back to the factory

I was shooting somewhere around 4 to 5 inch 3 shot groups at 100, bad even for a bad rifle in my experience. Some of that I know was me. No doubt in my mind about that. I did check everything that could have come loose.

I know Ruger puts out a quality product and will fix or replace it. I am by no means demeaning them, just this one that seems to have gotten through quality control.

I think I can put some of my accuracy problems down to the very flexible stock foteend and using my bully bag as a rest. So I think once I get it back and do something different I will have a different result. I was having a similar issue with the axis when I started shooting it. I did swap my rings out on the axis, and put it on a bipod and brought those groups right down. I put the rings I took off the axis on the Ruger. I think I am going to get some more new rings for it and get rid of that particular set. That was a vertical split ring set. I wonder in the back of my head if that would effect things.
did you brake in the barrel or just shoot it and if you did brake it in how

I had the same problem with a different make of rifle, $1100 worth. it shot 11 inch groups at 100 yards. They sent me a new rifle no questions asked, It just took five months to make it happen.

I do long range shooting but I also shoot lots of stuff that ain't of interest to LRS. Here is my return history; in the past 20 years I have returned two firearms to Ruger; one was a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoore the problems barrels not true alignment with receivers; how in the heck does that happen? Any how Ruger repaired both at no cost to me and I still have and use them. I have returned a Shield pistol to S&W; they returned it basically telling me to get lost at no cost to me. I traded it at a loss for a Glock and will never buy another new S&W. I have returned a few to Kel Tec; with the exception of the PMR 30 (there is no hope fer that one; I traded it in on a Glock) they required me to pay the shipping. They fixed the firearms and returned them and I still have, use and buy Kel-Tecs. I currently have returned a PSA AR 9 eight inch pistol to PSA. It fails to eject about 1 out of ten rounds. I have every hope they will fix it as every one on U tube have one that works flawlessly, eh? Last week I ordered two different firearms from PSA. I am fair, eh?

Local gun shop has one demonstrator hanging on the wall. It has been handled a lot. There appears to be some plastic tabs inside the stock that set the seating depth of the magazine. One is broken off and let's the mag go in to deep.
Idk about the accuracy issue. All I have seen shoot pretty good.

A friend of mine had the same problem with a RAP in 6mm creedmoor. The stock and magpul mags would drive it into the bottom of the barrel. I had some metal AI mags and let him try them they fed just fine. The metal lips were bent out just enough to allow the round to come into the chamber at more of an angle and not hit the bottom.

Going down a rabbit hole here...what if something sucks? We are all chasing extreme accuracy and this forum is supposed to share information. Is it supposed to be all sunshine and rainbows and nothing is ever bad? I know youre not the one to direct this at, and your helping the OP, but I dont understand it!! Maybe I am just dumb. lol
If all a person wanted was positive propaganda about some firearm all they gotta do is watch it on Utube. I want to know about specific problems on specific firearms. If some one is having a problem with a manufacture I want to know that too, eh?

If all a person wanted was positive propaganda about some firearm all they gotta do is watch it on Utube. I want to know about specific problems on specific firearms. If some one is having a problem with a manufacture I want to know that too, eh?

Yeah, seriously. Especially, with the amount of money some people are shelling out for scopes and factory guns! i want to know if it shoots! The OP is doing everyone a service!

Quite frustrating really.
I got the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore, AICS patern mag, mounted up and bore sighted the scope. Right off the bat, fail to feed. Every single round. Ok, no problem. I put 30 rounds through it at 25 and finally got something resembling a group. Moved to 100, and shotguned the target. 21 rounds later I gave up. I put 3 rounds of the same ammo through my axis and got a 1 inch group.

On later examination I find that as a round is stripped from the magazine it is nosing into the barrel steel right under the chamber. Every single round. I tried a new magpul mag and it did the same thing. So not a mag issue. So now it gets to go back to Ruger. I have never had to do that before.

I decided that I am going to give the 130 SGK hollow points a try as my reloaded round for both rifles.

Fun times.
My brother bought a Ruger Hawkeye in 243 a while back, and we never could get it to shoot. When I was watching him shoot you could see little copper slivers come flying out the end of the barrel. Never was able to get less than a 6" group out of the gun. My brother took it to a gunsmith and had him put a break and some other stuff like a new trigger, without any change in the results. He ended up selling the gun to Cabelas for a really low price. I told him he should have rebarreled the gun and kept it. He also bought a Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm Remington magnum at the same time that shoots 1/4" to 1/2" groups and was a good rifle. So it must be luck of the draw with their rifles sometimes. I always wondered if lapping the barrel would have fixed the problem. Sorry to hear about your luck with your rifle. I would definitely recommend sending it back to Ruger and having them fix the problem. As mentioned above check all your mounts bases ect. I had a scope sliding around on a gun that I bought from a pawnshop that had me extremely frustrated. But once fixed the gun shot beautiful. Hopefully you will have the same luck with your rifle. Also check your rifle to make sure your barrel is freefloated. My brothers Tikka had a problem shooting a group of about 2" to 1-1/2" groups. After trimming the barrel away from the stock at the range it shot beautiful less than 1/2". If you're not comfortable doing the job take it to a qualified gunsmith. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have an plain Jane American that had feeding problems.Called the factory. Lady who answered the phone was able to facilitate magazine replacement. Checked my name on the computer to make sure I was not running a con. Magazine appeared in the mail in a few days. I always call beforehand. Know from experience to be civil. Have several very positive experiences with Ruger dealing with work on handguns.

Several years ago I bought a new savage mdl 116 in 260 Remington. I tried off and on for two year's to find something it would shoot, nothing. The best was 2.5-3" at 100 yards. A friend of mine had bought a bore scope so we inspected the barrel, it was horrible. It looked like little balls on the rifling.

I sent photos to savage and they wanted it back, even though it was over a year out of warranty. Pretty good customer service I thought. They rebarreled it and sent it back. It shot 1.5" at 100, I pulled the barrel and installed a new Shaw. It now shoots less than 1/2" at 100.

I hope Ruger fixes the OP's rifle.

I would love to see a section for "polls" on specific factory rifles. That way you could get a quick overview of everyone's experience before you buy. It would combine all negative and positive feedback in a "neutral" way.
Why neutral? Call a shovel a shovel, eh? It is impossible to get valid feed back on firearms on the market today. I cannot trust any of the reviews I read or see on Utube. It would be nice if I could find objective truthful reviews on a firearm I was thinking of purchasing. I'm also interested in how people are treated when they complain to a firearms manufacture. So having a rule where one cannot voice their experiences with a particular model or gun maker ain't in my best interest.

Look...we all are adults ( chronologically anyway...) here. This is not hard guys. Being angry and name calling is not a sign of strength manliness. And - Semper Fi! - *BUT*...that still does not mean that a Marine "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" attitude is good for you in the civilian world. And- folks...that is where we live. In a public, civilian world. I don't have to like it - but I have to accept MY RESPONSIBILITY now - which is different from the past - to be part of a civilized society. That is just the facts.
I kinda think of this place as a big friendly party. One I can discuss products, issues and such - with respect to those I disagree with without being disagreeable. There is plenty of room in the rules for being frank - and truthful, without being offensive.

And - just like any party or neighborhood BBQ...FLAMETHROWERS are frowned upon........
they take away from the focus of fun and learning - even learning about a problem with a product - that can be talked about in a manner respectful of all...WHy is that a difficult concept? ( That was a rhetorical question...not one to incite further negative and frustrated feelings to spew forth....:D )
Peace, brothers..."WE" - all of WE...are not the enemy.......:cool:
I don't think i mentioned anyone by name, but YOU did. I never said kill em all and let God sort them out nor did i imply that. You sound like a young adult [chronologically anyway]So don't read something into my post that isn't there! I have been a civilian for many many years and listened to this pc bs and it is way out of control, so i hope i didn't hurt your feelings.

SemperFi

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.