Good Ole Hoppes

Have cleaned my guns for a long time with hoppes for general cleaning.
sweets for copper

but this past season tried some bore tech 4 carbon removal and was very surprise on how much carbon dirt was removed after a very good cleaning with hoppes.
followed direction 3 times on bottle before the black carbon dirt stopped coming out of barrel. Very surprised.

Only one I trust in the bore overnight, will do its job on carbon and copper if given time to soak in and get under the fouling. I must be one of the few that don't care that much for the smell.

Only one I trust in the bore overnight, will do its job on carbon and copper if given time to soak in and get under the fouling. I must be one of the few that don't care that much for the smell.
Exactly my results as well. Let it soak and it will get the copper out. Maybe not all of it but I don't clean to bare metal anyway so it works for me. I'd rather let it soak overnight 5-7 days a week than use the real heavy copper removers. I'd rather shoot than clean guns and I'd almost rather reload than shoot. With no components available maybe I will start cleaning more. That or work on the honey do list.....

I was raised on Hoppes #9. Its ok and I feel there has to be something better out there. I wanted to try something different and bought some Patchout. That product emphasizes letting things soak overnight. I tried it per the directions and would say it patched out 90% of the carbon and 50%+ of the copper with one patch! I was blown away as that gun had over 100 rounds through it. I really like that it attacks both issues.
Might try CLR next. Simple Green works great on my muzzle brakes. I might hose down the bore with that and let it sit overnight.

Deer season is over so I'm cleaning the guns to go back in the safe. I've used products like Butch's Bore Shine or Kroil with JB Bore Paste to get out everything including copper, but I always have to shoot a box of ammo to get accuracy back.

This year I'm going with good ole Hoppes to get the fouling out and maybe a smidgen of copper, but I'm not going for bare steel.

Anyone clean their hunting rifles with just Hoppes?
Well I did for more than 50 years, then I got a bore scope now I need much stronger stuff...

I spilled a jar in the basement gun room one time.... I don't mind the smell, but THAT was too much. It didn't really dissipate for a couple weeks. Needless to say, Momma wasn't too happy with me.

And also, That's pretty much the only thing I use to clean all of my guns. Although I seen an article on this website about Wipe-out and thought I would give it a try. I haven't yet for fear of damaging something? I don't know what it could hurt though....

I tried the wipe out patch out products. Used some Bore Tech Eliminator after I cleaned with wipe out and was shocked at how dirty it was. The carbon eliminator is amazing as well.

Lol y'all crack me up.

For the record I understand Hoppes removes very little if any copper. I personally don't go after copper until groups start opening up. I like Hoppes cause it does a pretty good job of removing fouling if used properly but leaves enough "junk" in the bore to keep groups tight. I oil my bore and leave it in a safe so I'm not concerned with corrosion build up.
This is exactly how I clean my rifles.

Although I seen an article on this website about Wipe-out and thought I would give it a try. I haven't yet for fear of damaging something? I don't know what it could hurt though....
Been using Wipe-Out for over ten years. Not a fan of brushes, but I know a lot of guys smarter than I use 'em.

I'll do a quick progression of shoot/clean to remove copper on a new barrel (factory barrels take more because of the lesser quality) at the range using their Accelerator, and Tactical Advantage. Doesn't need to soak long before patching it out. Prevents quick buildup/layering of copper if there's a lot of machining/tooling imperfections in barrels that aren't lapped, and really rough button grooves in the rifling.

Regularly though, it's Wipe-Out foam; if there's been a few hundred rounds down the tube might be a couple of hour-long applications then one for overnight soak. Borescope doesn't lie, the stuff works- as does others such as Sweet's.

But to the point, I have a quart of Hoppes that I use on badly neglected milsurps that come through. Even when the customer isn't asking/paying for a bore cleaning I just can't send them back the way they come in. You'd never believe the apparent numbers of gun owners that don't seem to know you actually need to clean them. I need to start taking pictures- I swear some are so bad that pressures must be spiking something fierce.