Good lord !

You need to go to Wal-Mart, and get one of the Tasco $39.95 "Big Game Rifle Scopes". They come in a plastic clamshell type of package. Open it up, throw away the scope, then put your Nightforce in the package, and leave it on the dining room table with the Wal-Mart receipt. Wifey will say "See you can get a good scope for under $50.00". Works every time !!
LMFAO ! GOOD ONE ! Now i just need a wife !

Why is it I'm getting the feeling when it comes to our toys and the cost of our toys, the wife is feared more than a grizzly?
Totally understand, LOL, as I have a Savage 110 BA conveniently "stashed". Been stashed since bought new in 2010, awaiting retirement. The way I see it, they(wives) wouldn't understand the "need".
Sorry to the OP, for derailing the tread. The wife tactics were just crackin' me up.

To me it seems scopes are going up because the tactical mob will pay anything for anything.
Whatever they go after sky rockets in price to pure stupid.
Then all scopes in a makers lineup that are not favored by the tactical bunch, would be viewed as 'cheap' in build/performance, if they were priced too much lower. So they get bumped along with tactical.

It's greed, but we're feeding it.
So don't display envy of a buddy showing up with a scope he paid $1K too much for. He's hurting you & me.

You need to go to Wal-Mart, and get one of the Tasco $39.95 "Big Game Rifle Scopes". They come in a plastic clamshell type of package. Open it up, throw away the scope, then put your Nightforce in the package, and leave it on the dining room table with the Wal-Mart receipt. Wifey will say "See you can get a good scope for under $50.00". Works every time !!
That's brilliant!!!! Hahahaha

To me it seems scopes are going up because the tactical mob will pay anything for anything.
Whatever they go after sky rockets in price to pure stupid.
Then all scopes in a makers lineup that are not favored by the tactical bunch, would be viewed as 'cheap' in build/performance, if they were priced too much lower. So they get bumped along with tactical.

It's greed, but we're feeding it.
So don't display envy of a buddy showing up with a scope he paid $1K too much for. He's hurting you & me.

Exactly, paint it black and label it "tactical" so the homeboys go crazy over it. I won't name brands, but I saw a .22 rifle with a decent wood stock $30+ less than the exact copy all black with the word "tactical" on it.

I am stealing this idea. That is the best thing I have herd yet.

I am stealing this idea. That is the best thing I have herd yet.

Feel free to use it, BUT it comes with a warning. When something happens to you, she is going to sell your guns and scopes for what you told her you paid for them. Some garage sale shoppers are going to get some great deals.

Yea MooseKnuckles, let us know if she kicks you to the curb. Lol

I have been wondering what the difference is in markup among scope manufacturers. There are companies out there (Athlon comes to mind) that are producing scopes that are feature rich, have lifetime warranties, and for all intents and purposes seem to be performing well (mine does). Then there are the Nightforces, March, and others that have the same features, no warranty, and are in some cases twice if not 4 times more the cost. I have a Nightforce too, and I like that scope equally as much as I like my Athlon, but quite honestly I don't know if I can logically justify the cost difference. I would love to be in a position where I could go out and buy one of the true Alpha type scopes and see if the juice was worth the squeeze...

I work for a sporting goods store and I can buy Vortex 50% off mfg price right from Vortex.

Sorry but am new to the site. Tried posting this ? else where but unable to find the correct place to post. That being said, a friend is building a ar15 to go shoot PD. Looking to have a 20" bull barrel put on the gun. The scope that I am looking to put on this is a Nikon M-223 4-16x42M Nikoplex. Also expect to shoot between 100 &550 yds on an upcoming trip this summer. Am new to shooting. Thanks

Sorry but am new to the site. Tried posting this ? else where but unable to find the correct place to post. That being said, a friend is building a ar15 to go shoot PD. Looking to have a 20" bull barrel put on the gun. The scope that I am looking to put on this is a Nikon M-223 4-16x42M Nikoplex. Also expect to shoot between 100 &550 yds on an upcoming trip this summer. Am new to shooting. Thanks
you need more power for 550 yards ! like 24 x minimum !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.