Good lord !

gj

Ya i want to spend $2500.00 for a Night Force,,,, about like i want to spend 2500 on new hemorrhoids !!!

I buy all of my gear for $300-$400 from "buddies who are having tough times".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

~Robert

Ya i want to spend $2500.00 for a Night Force,,,, about like i want to spend 2500 on new hemorrhoids !!!

I hear you, optics have been rapidly going up for the last 10 years. Even some of Cabelas crappy scopes are well over $1000. Sadly higher end optics are becoming unobtainable to the majority of shooters on a budget.

I hear you, optics have been rapidly going up for the last 10 years. Even some of Cabelas crappy scopes are well over $1000. Sadly higher end optics are becoming unobtainable to the majority of shooters on a budget.
Well if night force was Honest they could sale half the price and still make a huge profit ,,, can you say corporate GREED !

I would like to know how much cheaper it would be if Vortex would just build the Razor here instead of having LOW in Japan build it, just to have it shipped here and torn apart and built with the "top secret"
internals. Seems like a huge unnecessary cost to me.

Well, considering the ATACR and BEAST are leaps and bounds better than the NXS (i have an NXS and love it), it is going to cost more. With innovation and improved technology, the cost has to come from somewhere. Not saying that there isn't market wide mark up, but dont be fooled into thinking NF is the only one's capitalizing. You can't compare a few year old NXS to a new ATACR. its apples and oranges. The same principle applies to almost everything. Youre not going to get the same price on a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V as you did a 2014 Cadillac CTS. 2 different vehicles, models, and capabilities.

Scope quality and cost are all over the place, So you really have to shop for what you NEED and Not what you want unless you have an unlimited budget.

I have a rule of thumb that might help that has served me well over the past 15 years (When scopes started going crazy.

I consider cheep scopes to be less than $350.00 and end up being more expensive in the long run.

Next are the scopes that run $400.00 to $800.00 these are considered good quality in most brands
and normally have the features needed (Power range and reticle type).

Starting around $1000.00 and going up are the top of the line but many times you pay much more for a few extra features that may not be necessary for your needs.

So to sum it up, if you decide what you need to do the job and don't get caught up in the frills and gadgets, you should be able to find A/the scope for less than $1000.00 dollars that is top quality, has all the features that you need and a good warranty and service department if needed.

If you are active military, Leupold gives our service people up to 40% off on two scopes a year. this can put you in the premium scope range for less than $1,000.00 dollars.

Like one poster said, tell your wife that it is a $500.00 dollar scope and hope she never sells anything for what you told her you paid for it. Ha Ha

PS: you can buy some very good "used" scopes on line sometimes for a good price and some manufacture,s warranty them no matter who bought them, so it will keep you out of trouble.

J E CUSTOM

Scope quality and cost are all over the place, So you really have to shop for what you NEED and Not what you want unless you have an unlimited budget.

I have a rule of thumb that might help that has served me well over the past 15 years (When scopes started going crazy.

I consider cheep scopes to be less than $350.00 and end up being more expensive in the long run.

Next are the scopes that run $400.00 to $800.00 these are considered good quality in most brands
and normally have the features needed (Power range and reticle type).

Starting around $1000.00 and going up are the top of the line but many times you pay much more for a few extra features that may not be necessary for your needs.

So to sum it up, if you decide what you need to do the job and don't get caught up in the frills and gadgets, you should be able to find A/the scope for less than $1000.00 dollars that is top quality, has all the features that you need and a good warranty and service department if needed.

If you are active military, Leupold gives our service people up to 40% off on two scopes a year. this can put you in the premium scope range for less than $1,000.00 dollars.

Like one poster said, tell your wife that it is a $500.00 dollar scope and hope she never sells anything for what you told her you paid for it. Ha Ha

PS: you can buy some very good "used" scopes on line sometimes for a good price and some manufacture,s warranty them no matter who bought them, so it will keep you out of trouble.

J E CUSTOM
The only scope i remotely considered paying $1500 for, was the Burris Eliminator now thats what i call high teck.....

I have been wondering what the difference is in markup among scope manufacturers. There are companies out there (Athlon comes to mind) that are producing scopes that are feature rich, have lifetime warranties, and for all intents and purposes seem to be performing well (mine does). Then there are the Nightforces, March, and others that have the same features, no warranty, and are in some cases twice if not 4 times more the cost. I have a Nightforce too, and I like that scope equally as much as I like my Athlon, but quite honestly I don't know if I can logically justify the cost difference. I would love to be in a position where I could go out and buy one of the true Alpha type scopes and see if the juice was worth the squeeze...

Shhhh!!! My wife thinks Nightforce is a $500 scope!!!:D

You need to go to Wal-Mart, and get one of the Tasco $39.95 "Big Game Rifle Scopes". They come in a plastic clamshell type of package. Open it up, throw away the scope, then put your Nightforce in the package, and leave it on the dining room table with the Wal-Mart receipt. Wifey will say "See you can get a good scope for under $50.00". Works every time !!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.