Good lord !

Lots of time behind a scope will really bring out the benefit of higher end glass. A shot here or an hour at the range you may not notice, but an extended range session, the second day of a shoot or increasing mirage as the sun beats down can really strain your eyes with the lower end scopes.

It's not magic, it's not night and day difference, but for those that like to spend a lot of time behind the trigger, good glass is well worth the price.

I used to be a firm believer in the 4-500 range scope thinking it did all I needed. I recently have been spending some time on the wild side and I will tell you I will never buy a substandard scope again. I recently bought a Vortex Razor Gen II and it is a huge difference, eye relief, zoom, clarity, accuracy all a next level experience. If you cant afford it, there is no reason to be hung up on it, use what you can but if you can make it work, I say go for it, you only stress about it for a bit and then its done and you own it, drive less, shop less and save up, all worth the effort.

I almost used the razor as an example. I shot a vortex hs-t for years and didn't think anything of it. It tracked well, returned to zero and was clear enough at 16x to shoot 1200 yards. That was until we spent a long day shooting, me and a buddy, with several rifles and many scopes.

At the end of the day, the easiest rifle to shoot had a gen ii razor on it. My hs-t was hard to get a solid sight picture, the mirage was horrible and it was anything but easy to try and shoot in those conditions. There was also an atacr, but I was never able to get right behind the chassis rifle it was on and I don't like the moar reticle.

You really don't know why you are missing until you realize it. The less expensive scopes can do just about everything. The more expensive ones just make it more, for lack of a better term, comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts