Good elk hunt

wyowinchester

Went out Sat. and put in a camp for elk. My boy and I spent 4 days hunting, and came home bulls. Snowed on us for two days. I got mine lat Sat and he finaly shot his tue morning. The part that means alot though, is a comment from him. "I really enjoy this." I just wish my other boy could afford time off too go also. I know he wants to.

Good Bulls;

Attachments

• 446.jpg
    446.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 468.jpg
    468.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 102
Very Very nice bulls! Congratulations to both of you :D

Those antlers simply look huge!!

I managed to get my first elk a couple weeks ago, unfortunately my son had just left the day prior to head back to work. I am sure he would have really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Got time to tell us more about the hunt/distance/rifles and loads.?

Congrats. I think that most of us are envious of a father son double on bulls like those especially diy. Even in a limited draw area that is a great double.:)

These were in a general licence area. Mine was 250yds with my 6.5 creedmore. My boy hit his with his 30.06 at 300. Then the work started. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Thanks gentelmen.

Impressive bulls! There will be a life time of memories from that hunt I'm sure.

I may have an opportunity to take an elk with a Creedmore in a couple of weeks and I have been on the fence about it. So question about the 6.5 Creedmore bull: How did that go? What bullet? Berger, SST? 250 yards sounds good and I could have an opportunity at that distance.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Oh, and like everyone else, I've got some serious envy at the moment. :)

I am using a 129gr. SST. I only had about 10" of the top of the bull to shoot at. Shooting down hill. It anchord him on the spot with a low neck shot. when I got down to him he was still alive so it took another round thru the lungs. The bullet didn't exit and I haven't looked for it in the spine-neck yet. But I think it will do the job though the shoulders at that distance. Let me know how yours works out.

Great bulls!!!

Congrats on a successful - not just that you all filled your tags kinda success, but that your kids want to be hunting with you. I hope your other son is able to join you next year for a 3-party family elk-camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.