Good deal on a couple of hunting rifles, what one would you buy?

Good deal on a few guns what one would you buy?

• Ruger MKll .300 Win Mag Blue NEW, Zytel stock $400.00

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Ruger MKll 30-06 Stainless used with scope $315.00

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Sako M995 .338 Lapua used has some work done on it $900.00

Votes: 79 63.2%

• Total voters
Mine is a .300WM and do not have problem on either stock or bolt. The bolt and action is solid.

P8220205-1-1.jpg

I heard someone that cracked the stock and blamed it on the lead sled. He was using 50 pounds or so of counter weight . The price for the mag is about right.
Nice rig you have there. One just like that in a .338 lapua the other day that sold for $1825.00 on GB. The stocks after seeing them you really need do FU to crack a stock.

The .300 is new , zero rounds ! The used 30-06 , SS , was most likely someone's deer rifle. The barrel is probably no more than just broke in. I have seen many a grown men ( novice) wince at a 30-06 on site - in days at my local gun range. The "SAKO " -oohooo , lala- with MODS , tells me it has more rounds through it than a NY whore. @ $900 , I fell this is the point of new or rebuild from scratch. I will admit , I have never build a scratch rifle . I feel there is a precipise to cross from factory........ vs........ new construction = $. The question was " Which one" w/ the facts presented. Scopes are worth a nickel if its a **** good one. What else will $900 buy ???? NEW Savage , Weatherby, Kimber, etc. for the money ??? I pondered this very question on a Built SS, 7mm Rem. action & barrel w/muzzle brake , glass stock for $700- no scope? It wasn't there long... Gut Instinct!!!!! Go figure. lightbulb

The .300 is new , zero rounds ! The used 30-06 , SS , was most likely someone's deer rifle. The barrel is probably no more than just broke in. I have seen many a grown men ( novice) wince at a 30-06 on site - in days at my local gun range. The "SAKO " -oohooo , lala- with MODS , tells me it has more rounds through it than a NY whore. @ $900 , I fell this is the point of new or rebuild from scratch. I will admit , I have never build a scratch rifle . I feel there is a precipise to cross from factory........ vs........ new construction = $. The question was " Which one" w/ the facts presented. Scopes are worth a nickel if its a **** good one. What else will $900 buy ???? NEW Savage , Weatherby, Kimber, etc. for the money ??? I pondered this very question on a Built SS, 7mm Rem. action & barrel w/muzzle brake , glass stock for $700- no scope? It wasn't there long... Gut Instinct!!!!! Go figure. lightbulb
Thanks for your professional input.:rolleyes: I think the .338 and the .300 win Mag were both deasent deals. But hey that is just me. The gun action, bolt face, chamber look in great shape, don't even look like it has been used, also came with 95rd of spent .338 Lapua factory brass in the boxes and 100 new pieces of new factory .338 Lapua brass worth $290.00 and the paperwork, receipt of all that was done on the rifle (gun was built 14 months ago). So I think It was a deal. If the gun was not a good deal I don't think the gunsmith would of bought it.

Why would I want a to drive rusted out car when I can buy a new Cadillac for less?

I picked the '06 simply because its not as hot a load and so the bbl may not be shot out. But if all bbl's were equal, I'd go with the 300. 338 is expensive to shoot. I believe in practice and practice takes $$.

I picked the '06 simply because its not as hot a load and so the bbl may not be shot out. But if all bbl's were equal, I'd go with the 300. 338 is expensive to shoot. I believe in practice and practice takes $$.
Well if you shoot an 06 enough to shoot the barrel out you'll have accomplished the hear impossible.

Just don't shoot it hot and keep shooting and it should last you 3000-5000rds easily.

I'm chiming in here several months too late. For what you're wanting to do, I'd have recommended the .30-06. The price on that .338 Lapua seemed too good to be true. I would have been suspicious of it, but I'm not the trusting sort. If I knew it was in good condition, might have been tempted to buy it just to sell it for twice what I paid for it, and sold the brass separately as well. It's a great cartridge for what it was designed for, but I wouldn't have too much opportunity to use it to its full extent, and would cringe at the cost of components to keep it fed.

Congrats on a heckuva deal. Hope you enjoy it and don't end up selling it right away like the previous owner (or if you do, sell it for a profit!)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.