A Couple of Strange Ones

Turpentine21

My brother shot this deer 1 month ago with a 6.5 Grendel at 200 yards with a 123sst. He has killed around 75 to date with the Grendel and this is the first one he "lost". The deer was quartered away pretty hard at the shot. The entrance wound is where you see the scab behind the shoulder. The bullet went behind the shoulder blade and travelled forward finally ending up in the same side mushroomed under the hide in the neck. He did not recover the deer then. Blood ran out after 200 yards. He actually killed the deer this morning, over 1 month later, with his 270 win and a 145 eldx with a high shoulder shot. The buck was chasing does and showed no signs of injury.. In my opinion and his as well he hit the deer too far forward and too high. He said he just didn't realize the deer was quartered that much in the dwindling light. I'm not sure if the bullet contacted the ribs and veered to the outside. Perhaps he will answer those questions later. We both agreed the shot should have been lower and farther back. Or that he should have waited for a better angle. I have seen the exact opposite where a quartering to deer was shot in the neck. The bullet went between ribs and shoulder blade and never penetrated the body cavity. This with a 30-06 and 150 corelokts at 50 yards.
In another random incident this week a kid shot an 8pt broadside, 100 yards, right behind the shoulder with a 6.5 Creedmore using 143eldx bullets. This happened this past Saturday. They trailed blood for 150 yards and then lost the trail. That buck was shot and killed by a neighbor this morning. The deer was up browsing and feeding. The hit from Saturday was just above halfway up the body, dead broadside. Evidence from cleaning the deer suggests the bullet penciled through and didn't open. Hopefully some pictures will surface. I will admit that this is not the first time I have heard this about the 143 eldx out of the Creedmore. Folks in my area tend to have much better success on our deer with 125-130 class bullets like the deer season xp 125, 130 eldm, 130 Berger, and 129 interlock soft point just to name a few.
Also, I don't own a Creedmore. I'm not here to argue. I do own a Grendel and a 6.5-06. Both of which I use to good effect on deer and hogs with 123, 140, and 147eldms. I just figured folks might enjoy these stories or at the very least they would provoke some thought. If I get any more info or photos on either I will pass it along.

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 79
Thank you for sharing. It is not often you recover a deer you miffed the shot on a month earlier.
He had had pictures of the 1st one after wounding and during recovery but they were after dark. Today was the first he has seen him in the daytime and had an opportunity to take him. Definitely gives you an opportunity to study on what went wrong.

Yeah, good info. I could see how a hit right behind the shoulder blade COULD travel between the ribs and scapula and not penetrate... Seems like it'd be an extreme angle shot, and high like you said. Still, crazy. Thanks for sharing!

Good info!
Coming from the back when quartering away is fairly difficult to imagine but as you see here it can happen. It can very easily happen on a straight frontal shot if you just pull to one side a little. The bullet will sort of veer off the ribs and brisket and run between them and the leg/shoulder. That is one of the reasons I rarely ever take frontal shots. Unless, I have a really good rest and the deer looks off to the side which exposes a large area of the neck to target.

Being a long time archery hunter I carry a tip over to rifle hunting. On quartering away shots I always try to aim for the opposite side shoulder. After shooting my buck in archery this year my friend's brother looks at the deer and mentioned that the shot was back to far and I was lucky to get him. I flipped the deer over and showed him the bolt came out right in front of the opposite side shoulder. I hit lung and clipped the heart, he went 60 yards.
If your brothers shot was back and a bit lower he would have died that day instead of a month later.
Interesting stories.

I really think that with the steep angle he pulled that shot forward and high which doesn't take much to get far forward with an angle that steep. He admitted he did not hit the deer where he intended and evidently he had underestimated the angle. Odd for him because he has killed well over 1000 deer in his life with archery, buckshot, and rifle. Just proof positive it can happen to anyone. Most of his deer never take a step after the shot.
I usually on quartering shots shoot for the offside shoulder or to transect the lungs which may actually result in an exit in front of or behind offside shoulder on a quartered animal. All depends on the angle.
The prettiest archery shot I ever made was an instinctive (no sights) shot on a buck at just a hair over 40 yards. I lobbed that heavy 2219 in there with a Patriot two blade head and watched my fletching disappear 4" behind the last rib on the left side. The arrow exited 6" in front of the right shoulder. It flipped out with his first jump and fell to the ground. Complete pass through. He made it about 60 yards, stopped, started wobbling, and that was that. It had caught liver and lungs on the way through And left a great blood trail.