• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Good .223 setup under 800 bucks??

It seems that people everywhere rave about the out-of-the-box accuracy of Savage rifles. I've never owned one but the idea that inexpensive rifles can shoot exceptionally small groups is interesting.

I decided to buy my brother his first centerfire rifle and was committed to the .223 for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the availability of affordable ammo.

As a new shooter I wanted his initial experience to be positive and looked for a rifle that was heavy and accurate. I just purchased a Savage model 12 BVSS with a laminated stock, floated barrel and accutrigger. They are available on Gunbroker.com for $749 + $15 shipping.

If the rifle shoots any where near as well as many have reported, I think the $750 will be money well spent. Yeah - Savage rifles are UGLY (IMO) but small groups from a factory rifle sure will make it purdy. :Dgun)

The paraphrased saying is "only accurate rifles are interesting". The amount of precision put into machining, metal work, and assembling a weapon has way more to do with an out of the box accurate rifle than purdy ever will. Purdy shouldn't be considered in the equation until it shoots bug holes or close. Purdy is just a bonus. The exception to the rule does exist, but oftentimes can be fleeting. How I'd hate to spend hundreds and hundreds on a rifle that won beauty contests but couldn't shoot atleast MOA out of the box, with even Tubb behind it. More times than not, the "raving" and ranting about Savage rifles is justified. I own 4 of them and they all shoot sub MOA, 2 of them 1/2 MOA, and have since new, without anything done to them. You bought your brother an almost guaranteed sub-MOA out of the box rifle. Unless buying a custom stick, every firearm is subjected to the possibility of being shipped out in "a lil bit off" condition. Spend some more on an upper end scope, base, and rings. Walmart bubble pack scopes won't cut it. Break it in right and as long as the nut behind it can shoot, it'll group nice too. Then you too can be part of the raving. That's a nice rifle and a pretty good price. Good shooting to both of you!

Get the SPS Tactical in 223. I think it runs about $550 and it comes with a decent stock.

The scope I would get would be a Super Sniper 10x for $300.

I have seen a setup exactly like that shoot 6" at 550 yards, which in my opinion is darn good for a factory rifle.

Another Savage rifle you should consider is the model 25 Lightweight Varminter. I have one and it groups 5 shots in about .4" using handloads. It also has short rifling pitch, which lets you shoot at least 70 grain bullets. That will help of you want to use the rifle on larger predators. Here's a review:
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-Model25.htm

IIRC, this rifle will cost you about $650. A decent 14X to 20X variable power scope will cost at least $200, which exceeds your budget by at least $50. It might be a stretch, but you won't be disappointed. This rifle is purdy, too.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies fellas, just to be clear my buddies were shooting a couple hundred rounds a day.... They were talking 800 rounds on a 4 day hunt. I thought 800 a day was nuts too and asked them to clarify the story. Any other good sites besides this to look for a complete rifle /scope for sale? There has got to be wealthy guys out there with too many .223 rifles they want to get rid of for a decent price? Thanks