Go To Long Range Bullet

I like Bergers and Sierra for LR stuff.

While I LOVE Hammers accuracy, I have personally found their BCs to be a bit inflated. in 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm. But they are very accurate, even at distance. Just need to shoot for actual drops and adjust accordingly. Even Steve admitted to them "throwing out the parachute" at distance. They make a wicked vapor trail though!

Ive actually had my Hornady 4dof app be spot on with the published BCs for hammer bullets in .30 cal. Good to go out to 700 yards which is as far as I've shot them. Need to try 1000 yards.

With the .257" 121 @ 3250fps and 6.5mm 124 @ 2901fps & 131 @ 3162fps:
545=3-4" low of predicted drop on all 3 bullets
721=9-12" low of predicted drops
851=14-17" low of predicted drops
979=22-24+" low of predicted drops
All shot very small groups and very consistent. Just have to true up BC and then they are good to go.

6.5mm 131 has a listed G7 BC of .255. I had to take it down to G7 .220.

They're doing Doppler radar to confirm them and they're considerably cheaper.

Published BC's aren't reliable from inside resources.

Does Litz still have annual publication of bullet BC, SD? If so, are these included?

My Son & I started shooting the Sierra game changers last year. They were easy to find a good load in my 7mm STW & his 6.5x284 Norma. I tried them in a 300 win mag this fall & finding a load for it was considerably harder. If you have been a Sierra shooter I would sure give the Game Changers a try.

While I LOVE Hammers accuracy, I have personally found their BCs to be a bit inflated. in 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm. But they are very accurate, even at distance. Just need to shoot for actual drops and adjust accordingly. Even Steve admitted to them "throwing out the parachute" at distance. They make a wicked vapor trail though!
The BCs on Hammers aren't exactly what's posted. I have two identical rifles shooting the same load and one shows a slightly higher BC while the other is slightly less. Both shoot exceptional at 1000 yds. In discussions with Steve, about the only explanation is what the barrel is doing to the bullet. Not a concern, just needs validation.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say throwing out the parachute.

Thanks

Despite being completely unable to get the 180eldms to shoot with any kind of reasonable accuracy, eldx and eldm r still my go to long range bullet because of their performance on game. For long range accuracy, Sierra, Berger and lapua have always performed the best for me. I'm a really big fan of the 197smk that's an amazing bullet

Finally doing (re-doing) a build (new barrel/caliber). Looking to see if there is any thing new on the block.
Berger & Sierra were the go to's.
Really interested in giving Cutting Edge and Lehigh a run. Anything new I should keep my eyes on. Thanks.

Berger, Barnes, Hammer, Cutting Edge, Lehigh, Woodleigh, and one other are pretty hot.
I personally like Berger, Barnes, and Nosler
I want to try Hammer and Cutting Edge.
I have tried and loved Woodleigh on bear, big brown inland brown bears. I was very impressed in the 0.375" 300 grain and the 0.458" 475-500 grain class.

another I was able to shoot.. Swift. I was impressed with their whole lineup of 0.277. 0.308, 0.338, 0.375. scirocco and scirocco II's and A-frames. They were expensive and did exactly what I asked them to do. Now they are kind of a middle of the road when coming to price.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.